imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Well back on the original topic.
I was looking at the unit page and noticed a couple of things.

- A couple of "Regular Army" soldiers have their helmet covers on backwards.

- No IR Tabs or IR Tab covers

-"Americal" 23rd Infantry Division Patch patch
There's also the episode where the French UN soldiers are wearing British (or Dutch-style) DPM uniforms.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
First gen glocks had problems with firing pin force, and some of the new forth gens are having problems with weak recoil springs.
The 1st Gens also weren't very common in the U.S., either in private or LE/govt. hands. Most of the PDs and agencies that adopted Glocks didn't start buying them until around the time of the 2nd Gen models.

Regarding the M&P, it might still evolve into a good pistol, depending on whatever changes S&W makes. But in today's market, it needs to be stellar and flawless, and it doesn't appear to be so. And it's hard to give it the benefit of the doubt because, unlike Glocks in the 1980s, it isn't a new and innovative design.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
The 1st Gens also weren't very common in the U.S., either in private or LE/govt. hands. Most of the PDs and agencies that adopted Glocks didn't start buying them until around the time of the 2nd Gen models.

Regarding the M&P, it might still evolve into a good pistol, depending on whatever changes S&W makes. But in today's market, it needs to be stellar and flawless, and it doesn't appear to be so. And it's hard to give it the benefit of the doubt because, unlike Glocks in the 1980s, it isn't a new and innovative design.
To be fair to the M&P. It might not be new and innovative tech, but it is based on the current tested design.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Just saw a guy pull a glock 19 or 17 out of a boot on burn notice, like an ankle is a carry place
I have an ankle holster for my Glock 26. I've carried the G26 exactly twice that way. The last time was almost three years ago. No way do I want to do that again. My S&W Model 49 and my Colt Detective Special are the only handguns that I carry on a consistent basis in an ankle holster.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
To be fair to the M&P. It might not be new and innovative tech, but it is based on the current tested design.
...which is all the more reason why it shouldn't be flawed.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

At the risk of being accused of contributing to Thread Drift I carry a Glock 19 3rd Generation. It was issued to me brand new four years ago. It's a great little pistol. I shoot it well and I've never had it give me any trouble. I literally trust my life and other lives (i.e. citizens and other officers) with it.

No I don't think Glocks are the end all and be all of pistols and I'm not real impressed with the Glock 20/21, but I do like my G19 3rd Gen.

Now several folks are trying to tell me I need to get the G19 4th Gen. I fired both the 17 and the 19 4th Gen models about a week ago. They're okay, but I'm sticking with my 19. I hope to retire in about thirteen years still carrying it. And I hope that my department will give it to me as a retirement gift. It's still standard practice in the United States to present a retiring officer with his/her's duty handgun.

If they don't want to give the damn thing to me I'll buy it.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
At the risk of being accused of contributing to Thread Drift I carry a Glock 19 3rd Generation. It was issued to me brand new four years ago. It's a great little pistol. I shoot it well and I've never had it give me any trouble. I literally trust my life and other lives (i.e. citizens and other officers) with it.

No I don't think Glocks are the end all and be all of pistols and I'm not real impressed with the Glock 20/21, but I do like my G19 3rd Gen.

Now several folks are trying to tell me I need to get the G19 4th Gen. I fired both the 17 and the 19 4th Gen models about a week ago. They're okay, but I'm sticking with my 19. I hope to retire in about thirteen years still carrying it. And I hope that my department will give it to me as a retirement gift. It's still standard practice in the United States to present a retiring officer with his/her's duty handgun.

If they don't want to give the damn thing to me I'll buy it.

How well does the 19 shoot? Out of all the Glocks, it is the only one that I don't think feels awkward and I might consider getting one at some point. I've decided not to get a new rifle or an M&P so I'll have money for a different gun and I'm torn between a Ruger single action .357 and a Glock

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
How well does the 19 shoot? Out of all the Glocks, it is the only one that I don't think feels awkward and I might consider getting one at some point. I've decided not to get a new rifle or an M&P so I'll have money for a different gun and I'm torn between a Ruger single action .357 and a Glock
In that case, get a Glock. .357 Magnums in single action revolvers can kick kind of unpleasantly, where as a Glock won't be any problem to shoot with.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 AM

.357 Magnum has gotten way to expensive relative to other calibers too. If you want a shooter, get a 9mm.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
.357 Magnum has gotten way to expensive relative to other calibers too. If you want a shooter, get a 9mm.
While per box of 50, 9mm is definitely cheaper. About a $5 to 6 difference. But you end up shooting more I feel. Shoot 3 mags, you're at 45 rounds. 3 full cylinders you're only at 18.

.380 has gotten to be more than 9mm, with everybody getting pocket carry guns.