imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Angry So what's so wrong with restricting edits to registered members again?

It's not so bad when they do neutral or GOOD edits. But when they do borderline STUPID edits, it becomes annoying. Vandalism or spamming is easy. You just ban the IP address. Sure they can always attack again, but at least they did something to warrant action.

I am sure everyone has had pages tweaked, but in a STUPID way, by anonymous users who don't bother to (a) learn the protocol of this site and (b) bother to follow the formatting standards of this site or (c) just don't know how to spell......

So I propose restricting edits to registered users. If anyone has a compelling argument that people, who are too lazy to create a userid, should have the same power as everyone else, please, have at it.....
Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Pretty much all of my pages are restricted to registered users.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM

Recalling the older topics, I don't think anyone ever did present much argument against it.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

I agree in full. I had to go back through my In the Line of Fire page yesterday and undo a bunch of edits because the comments weren't funny, spelled properly, or neccessary to the page at all. And of course it was an anonymous user who made these edits.

And sometimes, when it comes to spelling, I'm in awe at how bad some people get.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
It's not so bad when they do neutral or GOOD edits. But when they do borderline STUPID edits, it becomes annoying. Vandalism or spamming is easy. You just ban the IP address. Sure they can always attack again, but at least they did something to warrant action.

I am sure everyone has had pages tweaked, but in a STUPID way, by anonymous users who don't bother to (a) learn the protocol of this site and (b) bother to follow the formatting standards of this site or (c) just don't know how to spell......

So I propose restricting edits to registered users. If anyone has a compelling argument that people, who are too lazy to create a userid, should have the same power as everyone else, please, have at it.....
The thing is, registered users can be just as inept when it comes to spelling and learning protocol. Though admittedly, anonymous users tend to be worse. If you guys want to suggest that we restrict editing to anonymous users, then let's all ask Bunni if we can (since I don't think any of us admins have the privilege). If all of you guys want it to be done, then I'll go with popular sentiment on this.

But I'm still skeptical we should really do it. One thing to keep in mind is that the anonymous users most frequently target our biggest and most popular pages, the ones that we put lots of effort into. The solution is simple: Get into the habit of protecting your pages. Every page on which I've ever done extensive work has been protected. That usually takes care of the problem by itself. Whereas punishing all anonymous users just seems kind of unnecessary (not to mention, too collectivist for my tastes, and I hate collectivism).

Plus, I worry that it just makes us look like assholes. I don't post on too many Wikis besides this one, but I haven't run into any yet that restrict themselves to registered users only.

Last edited by MT2008; 08-30-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:14 AM

I can protect my pages?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

well from mystery guys that pop in and not register themselves. You just click on the protect button at the top of a page and then select the protect against unregistered and you're done, but it doesnt stop ppl from registering and messing around

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
well from mystery guys that pop in and not register themselves. You just click on the protect button at the top of a page and then select the protect against unregistered and you're done, but it doesnt stop ppl from registering and messing around
Minor correction: you can do that if you're an admin. Regular users can't edit-protect pages.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

never mind then. I guess i'll start clicking protect on every page

Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
never mind then. I guess i'll start clicking protect on every page
Of course, as MT2008 pointed out, that doesn't protect pages from jerks who REGISTER as users and become major pains in the ass......