imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 AM
1morey

Exclamation About this site

Hi, I'm new here, and I don't know where to start...I really like this site, and it really helped me identify some guns in movies (Like that the M1 Garand was used to blow up that shark in Jaws, yadda, yadda, yadda.) The only thing about this site that I don't like, is it seems too wikipedia-ish. And I realize that this is a no brainer, but (and I don't know where to tell this), but I have some suggestions. For movies/tv shows, make it into a few categories (to clean up the pages), like Identified Guns, Guns that need Identified (stuff like that). Makes it look more professional. However, some Movies don't have the complete series, Jaws has only the first two movies (I think). And I have some other issues, that are also no brainers, too. The Video Game category (And I have just read the "Wayyy Too Many Video Games Thread, but this needs to be put on this thread), The Video Game Category is extremely messy, too many incomplete lists, some games have only half or even 1 or 2 of a series, some guns are misidentified, some don't have EVERY gun, etc. (Which I realize it's somewhat hard to identify a gun to a real-life counterpart.), but Gamers rely too much on the game's setting or they just glance at a gun, and they think they know everything. (Another thing is, that in ANY category, We shouldn't just put in guns, if there is any bows, knives, swords, misc. objects, etc that was used, they should be put onto the list in proper categories). But this site (and I don't mean to offend anybody), is really messy, and unorganized, and very unproffesional (mainly in video games, but that isn't too hard to understand why). Also, if a page has all the guns listed, but there are some extra ones that do not appear whatsoever in the media (Movie, game, tv show) because they were scrapped, don't include them. If they don't appear onscreen, then they should be deleted from the list (if there is any to be deleted). I'll have a ex for a game:
*Game Title*

1. Usable Weapons
1. Firearms
2. Bladed Weapons
3. misc. objects (unconventional weapons)
4. Multiplayer weapons (Weapons only available in multiplayer)
5. Anachronistic Weapons
6. Mock Ups

2. Circumstantial Weapons (Weapons that under normal circumstances are not available to the player (that means if a gun is available only through cheats or glitches it goes here, or if a weapon is used by a character or enemy that can't be used by the player))
1. Firearms
2. Bladed Weapons
3. Misc objects
4. Anachronistic Weapons
5. Mock-Ups (Guns that are just dressed up versions of real-life weapons)

3. Fictional Weapons (to Appease some people (especially in movies where the weapons used are fake)

You get the idea. This can also apply for movies, anime, tv shows, etc, with some changes. Overall it would make the site look more professional. And don't take this as being a trolling comment, I am just giving my opinion, and some suggestions on how to make the site better. And I am looking forward on upcoming releases to some of the movies.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morey View Post
We shouldn't just put in guns, if there is any bows, knives, swords, misc. objects, etc that was used, they should be put onto the list in proper categories
You aren't the first person to suggest this and, in all probability, won't be the last, but it'll be rebutted just the same. The site is called Internet Movie Firearms Database for a reason. Very rarely do we make exceptions for bladed or traditional weapons (Rambo's knives and bow fall under this exception) and I'd vote a definite NO on improvised melee weapons.

Quote:
*Game Title*

1. Usable Weapons
1. Firearms
2. Bladed Weapons
3. misc. objects (unconventional weapons)
4. Multiplayer weapons (Weapons only available in multiplayer)
5. Anachronistic Weapons
6. Mock Ups

2. Circumstantial Weapons (Weapons that under normal circumstances are not available to the player (that means if a gun is available only through cheats or glitches it goes here, or if a weapon is used by a character or enemy that can't be used by the player))
1. Firearms
2. Bladed Weapons
3. Misc objects
4. Anachronistic Weapons
5. Mock-Ups (Guns that are just dressed up versions of real-life weapons)

3. Fictional Weapons (to Appease some people (especially in movies where the weapons used are fake)
I'd be against this kind of organization, as it's includes a bunch of unnecessary categories. I prefer our current system of organizing guns by type (pistol, rifle, machine gun, etc.). Easier to navigate.

We also have a rule against the inclusion of fictional guns in that if it isn't based off an existing real world design, it's not permitted on IMFDB.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 AM

I know you mean well but when you look at the size of this site you will realize that what you are talking about is impossible for the long term, reliable members to do with what we have to work with. Frankly I would love to do a 0 to Z cleanup of the site and Modlock all the complete pages and then tag all the pages that just need to be cleaned up a bit. As far as videogames go last time I tried to do a 0 to Z catigorizing sweep I gave up at about C as that's how big the site really is.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 AM
IMFDB Admin

I agree with the Video Game Category is totally messed up, but then (a) I have never made it a secret that I despise the VG Category (b) too many users spend too much time trying to figure out what a weapon is when simply the original VG artist was a douchebag who didn't bother to research his weapons fully so he made a hybrid frankengun because he was too stupid or lazy to make a nice VG version of a real life gun and (c) the maturity level of MOST of the VG afficionados is very low. There are just too many KIDS who are 'experts' on the various video games (and this does not count some of the IMFDB members who make really good VG pages), but come on! The majority of the VG freaks are kids .... and it shows!

Anyway, my rant is over. Carry on. One thing we can all agree on is that the poor quality of many of the VG pages brings down the overall professionalism of the site in general.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:08 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
You aren't the first person to suggest this and, in all probability, won't be the last, but it'll be rebutted just the same. The site is called Internet Movie Firearms Database for a reason.
And that pretty much says it all. Thread closed.