imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default How about some new SPOILER rules? :)

People sometimes don't realize that many spoilers simply are NOT necessary. I am in the crowd that believes that spoilers are bad and people who give away important plot points unnecessarily are being extremely inconsiderate to anyone who has NOT seen the movie yet.

(a) If a major character dies, and if you can avoid talking about it, then don't mention it!

(b) If a major plot twist happens and revealing it is not necessary to identifying the GUNS used in the movie, then don't blurt it out!

(c) If there is a major secret or hidden agenda that pushes the events of the story, then DON'T reveal it!

(d) if it is unavoidable, TRULY unavoidable, then put a big SPOILERS warning at the top of the page and then at the top of the Spoiler heavy section if possible.

I see so many spoilers that just aren't necessary.

Quote:
John uses a Beretta 92FS which he picks up after losing his Smith & Wesson Model 66 which means that he's the killer because everyone only dies from a 9mm round and all the other people have pre-1898 guns because of their shady pasts but only after accidentally killing the girl which leads to her sister's suicide which means that her ghost is the entity which is haunting his fiance because John and his fiance are really orphans and neither one of them knows that they're brother and sister, but also that he's a werewolf and she's a vampire, even though they live in a computer simulated world......
This SHOULD just be ....
Quote:
John uses a Beretta 92FS and here are some screenshots
I don't want a blow by blow RETELLING of the movie, or even a part of the movie.

I've learned alot over the months by watching how visitors (not fanboys) USE IMFDB. They are not gun fans, they are not movie fans, but like IMDB, we are being seen as a scholarly resource of information and cinema trivia (which firearms is a part of). I know of Propmasters and Art Directors who actually CHECK US now to see what was used in what film. I know people who have scoured the high quality screencaps to see what holster was used or what accessories were on a weapon (and these are people who are actively working on motion pictures).

Pointing out anachronisms (without being snarky) is always appreciated. People learn from that as well.

So being sensitive to SPOILERS is another step towards professionalism. I posted this because some members may wonder WHY I edited some of their descriptions to remove 'possible spoiler information'. That's not meddling. Spoilers are a bad thing and generally looked down upon in the cinema resource arena.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM

I think it was GM45 that had a cool way to avoid spoilers by making it so you need to highlight in order to read.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I think it was GM45 that had a cool way to avoid spoilers by making it so you need to highlight in order to read.
Yeah, look at the last screencap for the S&W 629.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title...nter.22_Custom
Old 11-13-2009, 06:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Yeah, look at the last screencap for the S&W 629.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title...nter.22_Custom
Holy crap! Just that entire LAST IMAGE is a spoiler. Why is that there? We've already established that the character uses that gun, the last image is not necessary.

Seriously guys. I think we need to start policing SPOILERS on the site. If someone squawks, then we can point them to the newly minted "Rules and Regulations!"