imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 AM

..........No.

Apartheid was Africa's term for legal segregation of blacks and whites, which inculded many other incredibly racist laws and statutes. Blacks and minorities weren't given rights as citizens and some even set up in shantytowns as seen in District 9. They would get raided by the local law enforcement agencies all the time, too. It was a lot like America's post-Civil War reconstruction, only a shitload worse because the nation of Africa was and has been in worse shape than us, generally speaking.

Normally I can see how confusion comes up between two words or ideas but I don't know how the fuck you made a jump from Nazis and Brits in WWII to a post WWII civil rights oppression. I mean you must have heard of Nelson Mandela? Unless you're thinking of the Afrika Korps or the Battle of El Alamein, you're just plain not thinking straight.

Anyhow, the aliens would obviously be the blacks/minorities, and MNU would be the white, oppressive government organization, like the police or something, which is also backed by the general population because these aliens (blacks) are "scary and dangerous". That is the correlation between the movie and the director's experiences. How you guys can misconstrue it as something else or not know anything about it at all is crazy. It's on par with not knowing about the Civil Rights Movement, or the Holocaust even. But, that's public schoolin' for ya.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

I was taught in English class (a great place to learn history :P) from the movie "The Power of One", which my teacher said was about apartheid.

She was waaaaay off.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:11 AM

lol what are they teaching you in scool GM45.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 AM

Holy fuck, are you guys being serious?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Damn! Public schools must really be screwed these days. Of course, I went to a public school where stuff like the Civil Rights movement and the apartheid era in South Africa were a big part of the curriculum (both in History and in English), but still...I don't know how they get confused with the Nazis and WWII. Big WTF here.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 AM

I thought it was a deconstruction of the usual "alien invasion" movie. The disintegration rays turned people into blood and guts, the aliens were vagrants and addicts, and the humans were assholes.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Nope, it was basically a change in perspective view of South Africa under apartheid, except replace blacks and other minorities with Aliens.

The alien guns were cool, but that's trying to hide the fact of what this movie was REALLY about.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”