imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Tack

Default Joe Kidd

Hi,
My first time on this forum so, please be gentle.
In the film Joe Kidd there is a rifle used by the character Olin Mingo, a bolt-action rifle with what seems to be a tubular magazine. it appears to be of a fairly large caliber, possibly .45.
Does anyone know what it may be?
Regards and thanks for a fabulous site,
Tack
Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but just about the only bolt-action with an under-barrel tubular mag being produced in the US at that time was the Remington-Keene. http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/507/keenesport.html

That said, it's more likely the used a cut-down European military weapon, most likely a German Mauser 1871/84 or a Swiss Vetterli, both of which were at one time popular in the US for use as sporters.

Last edited by Nyles; 03-24-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

I have that movie on my to-do list, eventually I'll have screencaps on here to help determine what it is. The only gun I remember in that movie though was the C96 Broomhandle Mauser with the holster/stock that never ran out of ammo.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 AM

Seem to remember a scene with Clint Eastwood and Robert Duvall where Duvall had a scoped Ross, might have been Joe Kidd.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM

Ok, found some video online and apparently I was wrong, it was Clint that uses the Ross. An M10 Sporter with a Winchester A5 scope (very nice, and very historically correct), Duvall uses a Savage 99. Very impressive guns in that movie, the video clip I found was small but I think I even saw a Colt 1878 double action.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Since I'm screencapping this, I think it is in fact a Ross 1905 and not a 1910, as it doesn't have the extended magazine plate. It is surely a Ross as you see it is a straight pull and has the P-shaped bolt. The gun appears to have been modified to break down into parts, so the handle and stock break apart, and the barrel wood had been chopped (so it is "sporterized").

Nyles, you appear to know more about this than me, so keep an eye out for when I upload images.