imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Oh indeed. Is it one of the Israeli/military surplus models that have been coming in, or just a well seasoned Browning import? I'd really like to see pictures of it. Welcome to the club sir.
Honestly, I am unsure. I'm not an expert in these, but I see no markings that seem to identify it as Israeli. However, it is Belgian marked (not Browning) and I noticed that it has no import markings. I don't know the implications of this, but I'll try and get some pictures of it up this weekend.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelTomb View Post
Honestly, I am unsure. I'm not an expert in these, but I see no markings that seem to identify it as Israeli. However, it is Belgian marked (not Browning) and I noticed that it has no import markings. I don't know the implications of this, but I'll try and get some pictures of it up this weekend.
If it came from Cole Distributing. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...Sellers=979927 It's likely an Israeli surplus. I got my Mark II HP from them, many times there are no special markings.

I shot mine this weekend, ran great. With yours being an older T-Series it may not run well with hollowpoints. Since you don't know the history of it, I would buy a complete spring kit for it. You can replace everything but the mainspring without completely stripping the pistol.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
If it came from Cole Distributing. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...Sellers=979927 It's likely an Israeli surplus. I got my Mark II HP from them, many times there are no special markings.

I shot mine this weekend, ran great. With yours being an older T-Series it may not run well with hollowpoints. Since you don't know the history of it, I would buy a complete spring kit for it. You can replace everything but the mainspring without completely stripping the pistol.
The hollowpoint thing is what I'm afraid of; I already polished the feed ramp pretty good, but only running some hollowpoints will really show for sure. Do you thing it will run all right with a flat point/TMJ type bullet? I handload them and have around 800 rounds on hand so...
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
The hollowpoint thing is what I'm afraid of; I already polished the feed ramp pretty good, but only running some hollowpoints will really show for sure. Do you thing it will run all right with a flat point/TMJ type bullet? I handload them and have around 800 rounds on hand so...
Not sure, you'll just have to test them. There's been cases of some older HP's with the humped feedramp feeding hollowpoints, but it's probably not the norm.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Not sure, you'll just have to test them. There's been cases of some older HP's with the humped feedramp feeding hollowpoints, but it's probably not the norm.
In that case, would you recommend a whole new barrel? Or perhaps a throated chamber (or something along those lines)? I got the feed ramp pretty slick, but I won't know how it runs until I have the chance to shoot it; that may happen this weekend. I'll post my findings if I do.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
In that case, would you recommend a whole new barrel? Or perhaps a throated chamber (or something along those lines)? I got the feed ramp pretty slick, but I won't know how it runs until I have the chance to shoot it; that may happen this weekend. I'll post my findings if I do.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/m...%20to%20do.htm

I would still shoot it beforehand, then see if it needs to be worked over.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM

FWIW, I have shot roughly 2-300 basic hollow point bullets (Remington L9MM1 and Federal 9BP 115 gr JHP) through 2 1970's vintage Hi Powers and not had a problem. The second of the two, the one I have now, looks like the feed ramp has been worked over and polished, though it still retains a humped shape (and proper headspace, thankfully; the work looks amateur, but still safe). The angle at which the magazine feeds is important to reliable chambering as well, so be sure to use quality mags, if not just for the sake of general reliability. Mec Gars should do fine.

As a Hi-Power owner it's almost a must to check Stephen Camp's website, especially since I'm not sure how much longer it will be around since his passing was not too long ago, may he rest in peace, but it's a great resource to any Hi-Power owner, old or new.

Getting a new barrel is expensive and may require fitting, and in the end it's mostly a way of eliminating a possible statistical zero in terms of reliability. Predator's advice is the soundest; test the gun and see how well it does feeding your loads and go from there. Be careful making home alterations too, they could end up costing you more than the new barrel in the end if you aren't totally adept. I've derped many a project myself and it's not a great feeling.

Good luck and enjoy your new Hi-Power (especially 800 rounds worth). As I said before, welcome to the club.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the advice! Like I said (and I'm trying not to sound like a broken record) I'll try to get out and limber this thing up this weekend, but no guaruntees there. When I first took the gun apart, I noticed that the feed ramp was black as charcoal, so I just carefully took a small bit of 600 grit sandpaper and polished it up pretty good (no Dremel action- that could have gone bad pretty fast). I know what you mean by jacking up home projects, I've had some of those myself. Stephen Camp's website is a great source of knowledge, and I was pretty sad when I found out he had passed away. RIP Mr. Camp.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

Stephen's widow still has his books available to buy, so I think that helps keep the site running. I have several of them and all are great reads.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

This arrived at my FFL today. It was bone dry when I got, had to oil the hell out of it. Been wanting one of these Talo Edition 38 Super Commander's since they came out last year. Doesn't have quite the same features as the Wiley Clapp, but I'm real pleased with it.

While I was there, bought a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 with the convertible cylinder.