imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 PM

Default 50 BMG Dummies

I really like .50 BMG, but I don't see getting a rifle in that calibre in my near future, so...
With all the people that sell dummies, you wouldn't think I'd have such trouble getting my hands on them. I've tried J & A Discount Military Surplus and American Specialty Ammo. Both accepted my order, only to call me up and say 'sorry, not to Canada.' I tried to order from River Valley Ordnance, but they may or may not still be in business (my email bounced back, forum noise says they're OOB). Too bad, since their listed prices are awesome (25$ for a 2' linked belt).
After a little more poking around, it seems the US State Department has banned exportation of anything 50 BMG. Including dummies? I can't tell for sure.
Do any of you know;
Is it actually illegal to export dummies and;
If not, who will ship me some that don't have holes in them?
If so, would it be illegal for me to buy them in the US and bring them back? (I'll be in Washington next month and I could order them from Cabela's for in store pick up). Even typing that it sounds like a stupid question, but I've heard of stupider loopholes. I'd only have to deal with the Canadian border guards coming back, and as far as they're concerned .50 BMG is perfectly legal.

Failing those options, I guess I'll have to find somebody here who reloads that calibre (not easy!) and ask if they'll make me some.
Lot of effort for a paperweight.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

Is there anything stopping you from hopping over and picking one up as a souvenir?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 AM

Probably not? If I picked them up at Cabela's, I would have already paid for them over the internet, so I wouldn't even have to declare them at the border. Probably.
Firearms-related legal infractions are serious stuff, so I want to ask around a little first.

Oh, and they're 10$ a piece at Cabela's, if anyone knows somewhere else I could get them it would probably be a lot cheaper.

Last edited by BlackIce_GTS; 04-28-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm not going to encourage you to break the law, but...if there is a law against owning .50 BMG dummy rounds in Canada, it sounds pretty difficult to enforce. But there is obviously a huge difference between the U.S. having a law against export of these rounds (which affects only U.S. citizens) vs. Canada having a law against possession. If the former is the only thing stopping you, then I don't think it would be illegal for you to find a gun show across the border and pick some up.

Totally unrelated, but I own two dummy .50 rounds. Got 'em for $1 at a gun show about 10 years ago. They were a neat little souvenir, but if there are legal issues to consider in Canada, I can tell you that they're nothing too special. Mine mostly just sit in a locked box with my pistol ammo and I don't take them out much.

Last edited by MT2008; 05-06-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Why in the HELL would anyone ban dummy rounds? Even the People's Republik of Kalifornia doesn't do that.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Why in the HELL would anyone ban dummy rounds? Even the People's Republik of Kalifornia doesn't do that.
I suppose in theory you could refill the round with powder and replace the primer. But then again, if you can get powder and primers, you can probably get real ammo anyway.

I try to avoid buying dummy rounds, if I want duds I just deactive the rounds myself. Pull the heads, fire the primer off in a gun, then press the head back in with a vice with some super glue around the rim.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 AM

You can't Re-activate dummy .50 caliber rounds as they have no primer hole and they have three about a quarter inch holes drilled in the cartrige case.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

They probably fall under some Scary Gun Law. I mean, since everyone knows that the .50 BMG round posesses powers completely at odds with all known principles of ballistics and Newtonian physics and can flip over train carriages and obliterate game animals, even a deactivated one is probably capable of killing millions of people in the hands of some n'er-do-well.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 05-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I try to avoid buying dummy rounds, if I want duds I just deactive the rounds myself. Pull the heads, fire the primer off in a gun, then press the head back in with a vice with some super glue around the rim.
Yeah, but .50 BMG is way too expensive for that. I did a quick Google search and found one retailer selling 100 rounds for $300 (though I can't claim to know any better deals, since I don't shoot .50-cal and have never tried to buy that ammo). If you don't own or shoot a .50 BMG rifle, it makes a lot more sense to just buy dummies that someone else has made from expended brass. The two dummy .50 rounds I own cost me a dollar - it was a two-for-one deal, which is common at gun shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
You can't Re-activate dummy .50 caliber rounds as they have no primer hole and they have three about a quarter inch holes drilled in the cartrige case.
I don't think mine do. I'm not at my place right now, but when I get home, I'll take them out and check to see if they have those holes. Do you mean in the side of the case?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Well, they are prettly long. Maybe they are afraid that you will stab someone with one.

David.