imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:31 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
The foregrip won't snag on clothing when you are hiding it in a jacket, I suppose.
True, but the sights will. That's why H&K came out with the MP5KA1 and KA5 - those versions have no sights so that they won't snag on the clothes of body guards who carry them. The ones in "Taken" are regular MP5Ks with sights.

BTW, I can't remember, but I think the KA1 is the version of the MP5K that the Secret Service uses, even though movies always depict Secret Service agents carrying regular MP5Ks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Gunmaster45's Avatar
Gunmaster45 Gunmaster45 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1,779
Default

So an MP5KA1 with the foregrip removed would be pretty handy wouldn't it? Unless you needed to aim...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:52 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
So an MP5KA1 with the foregrip removed would be pretty handy wouldn't it? Unless you needed to aim...
...in which case, an MP5K is the last gun in the world you should want.

Last edited by MT2008; 06-13-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Zombees Zombees is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Call me crazy, but if you were carrying a compact SMG in a firefight, would you really want to aim it? Or just point and spray? I thought that's what SMGs were designed for.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Gunmaster45's Avatar
Gunmaster45 Gunmaster45 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1,779
Default

No, you never want to do that, only in movies does that work. Guns with full auto capabilities run out of ammo way faster than in movies (as in an MP5K's case, with a 30 round magazine, that sucker's empty in ~2 seconds). You want to make every round count and if you just "sprayed-and-prayed", you'd end up dead.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombees View Post
Call me crazy, but if you were carrying a compact SMG in a firefight, would you really want to aim it? Or just point and spray? I thought that's what SMGs were designed for.
No, machine pistols (as opposed to full-size SMGs) were designed to be concealed and easily carried by body guards and aircraft crewmen. That they are almost always very difficult to control is a mostly unintended consequence of their size, but the designers don't sit down and think consciously, "OK, let's build a gun that is meant to be fired in 'spray-n-pray' mode."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Zombees Zombees is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
No, machine pistols (as opposed to full-size SMGs) were designed to be concealed and easily carried by body guards and aircraft crewmen. That they are almost always very difficult to control is a mostly unintended consequence of their size, but the designers don't sit down and think consciously, "OK, let's build a gun that is meant to be fired in 'spray-n-pray' mode."
Very good, I shut up now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.