imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-20-2015, 02:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Cleaning adhesive residue off a Beretta 92FS INOX

All,

It's been a while since I bought any new guns, but since my 30th birthday is
coming up, I bought myself an early present: An Italian-made Beretta 92FS INOX, vintage 1994.

I would like to post pics, but before I do, I need to remove some adhesive residue that was left on the back of the grip by electrical tape that the previous owner put on it. It's been so long since I've had any stainless guns in my possession (I never shot, ergo, never cleaned my S&W 4506 or Mossberg 500 Mariner) that I'm getting rusty on the best stainless cleaners. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:33 PM
IMFDB Admin

Have you tried WD40? I use it all the time to get the sticky residue from labels off of different metals and glass.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Have you tried WD40? I use it all the time to get the sticky residue from labels off of different metals and glass.
Tried WD40 on my Mossy once. It tends to streak. Granted, that might have been because I used the wrong kind of cloth.

Anyway, I found something else, based on another recommendation. I managed to get most of the residue off, will go back and do some more in a bit. Then I'll post pics.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:31 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Tried WD40 on my Mossy once. It tends to streak. Granted, that might have been because I used the wrong kind of cloth.

Anyway, I found something else, based on another recommendation. I managed to get most of the residue off, will go back and do some more in a bit. Then I'll post pics.
Was it "Goo Gone"? It's a citrus based oil that is very effective.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 AM

Remoil and a soft rag have always worked for me, got all the powder burns off my 686 and 4506; it just takes a bit of elbow grease

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

Uh, WD-40 is NOT gun oil. It's water displacement and rust inhibitor oil. The best use for WD-40 on a firearm is if it gets wet or moist. WD-40 displaces all moisture, but it should not be used like 'gun oil' in that it becomes gooey and gunky with age. Refined oils like Remington Gun Oil are designed to coat guns and keep protecting the finish for a long time.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Uh, WD-40 is NOT gun oil. It's water displacement and rust inhibitor oil. The best use for WD-40 on a firearm is if it gets wet or moist. WD-40 displaces all moisture, but it should not be used like 'gun oil' in that it becomes gooey and gunky with age. Refined oils like Remington Gun Oil are designed to coat guns and keep protecting the finish for a long time.
I'm not talking about using it as a gun oil, just purely for getting adhesive residue off of a gun. I don't know chemically why it works but it does, not just on metal but on all kinds of things including glass, ceramic and even fabric.

It might just be one of those myths but people have told me in the past that WD40 will remove bluing in the same way that it will remove rust. I'm not sure this is true though, as I think that if a gunsmith blues a gun the first thing they do is dump it into a tank of WD40 to displace the water from the bluing solution so it cant be that harmful.

Last edited by commando552; 06-22-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

As promised, here she is...

Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Believe me, I learned the hard way. This was five years ago.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
As promised, here she is...

Good Lord! Half of your slide is missing!

http://www.introvertisland.com