imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Default Hypothetical Question for any Police Officers out there

You just pulled a guy over because he was driving a little too fast. He's polite and cooperative, handing over his license when you ask for it, but as he reaches for his glove compartment to get his registration, he hesitates and puts his hands back on the wheel.

"Officer," he says, "I want to inform that I just remembered that I have a firearm in my glove compartment on top of my registration. I am licensed to carry concealed and I have all my documents of ownership with me."

How would you handle this situation from this point forward?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

I am a police officer but a British one, so this situation would never arise for me. However being the kind of guy that i am I have looked into this sort of stuff, and firstly I have to say that the guy with the CCW should never start by saying that "I have a firearm" or anything like it. The more sensible response would be to first say that you have a carry permit and then that you are currently carrying a weapon. The officer should then ask you exactly where it is, and then ask you to show him your permit. If in the case you described you vehicle registration is inside the glove box with your firearm then it is likely that he would proceed with the stop without asking to see it, as he would have ran your number plate when he stopped you and assuming nothing is out of the ordinary all that he would have to do would be to confirm your identity from your license. In some States that allow concealed carry they have laws saying that you must inform the officer if you are carrying, but even if you aren't it is a very good idea to let them know immediately anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I am a police officer but a British one, so this situation would never arise for me. However being the kind of guy that i am I have looked into this sort of stuff, and firstly I have to say that the guy with the CCW should never start by saying that "I have a firearm" or anything like it. The more sensible response would be to first say that you have a carry permit and then that you are currently carrying a weapon. The officer should then ask you exactly where it is, and then ask you to show him your permit. If in the case you described you vehicle registration is inside the glove box with your firearm then it is likely that he would proceed with the stop without asking to see it, as he would have ran your number plate when he stopped you and assuming nothing is out of the ordinary all that he would have to do would be to confirm your identity from your license. In some States that allow concealed carry they have laws saying that you must inform the officer if you are carrying, but even if you aren't it is a very good idea to let them know immediately anyway.
I have a carry permit, and I was under the impression I had to tell an officer if I was carrying. It's never come up, since I rarely carry, so I'm not exactly sure how to bring it up.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well depending on which state you live in. I live in Indiana so I don't have to inform the officer that pulled me over that I am armed unless needed like if I step out or if I left my gun in the glove box

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 AM

I don't have to, but it's seen as "polite" to let the officer know

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM

Jcordell would be able to give good insight on this one, I think.

If it were me as the individual being pulled over, I'd do like Commando said: tell the cop first that I have the CCP and then inform him where the gun is. I'm all in favor of a cop defending themself if they legitimately believe their life is in danger, but I doubt anyone wants the burden of an unnecessary shooting on their conscience. Hell, I think most sensible and upstanding LEOs would prefer to go their whole careers without having to shoot someone.

As for how the cop would proceed, I can't say.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The magic of Google.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 AM

I'm a retired LEO (31 1/2 years). I would just ask for the drivers license & CCW permit....If it looks good then its registration and proof of insurance. Its really that easy.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 PM

It's usually advised that you tell an officer if you're armed if he ever needs to stop you for something like that. Officers have to deal with an unfortunate amount of people who choose to quick draw and blow the cop's brains out through their window instead of potentially getting arrested for some kind of crime. Some people will even shoot the cop that pulled them over if they don't have any outstanding warrant or a risk of the officer finding illegal items during the stop. As such, many officers are quite wary when the guy they pulled over starts rifling under the seat or in the glovebox.

Telling the officer that you have a weapon and where it is (and if necessary, providing the documentation to prove that you can legally be carrying it there) not only prevents any awkward questions if you open your glovebox and expose the butt of a Glock, but it helps assuage their potential fear by letting them know beforehand that you're armed. It removes a lot of the "what ifs" in their mind if they know beforehand that the guy is legally carrying and admits it readily, rather than a thug waiting for a chance to fire.

It's also advisable to tell them if you have any replica guns in the vehicle, like airsoft. Some people may forget about their airsoft guns just because they're "toys", but a police officer won't be thinking that the AR-15 he just saw in the back seat is a toy first.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I have to go run some errands, but when I get back later today I'll tell you how I have actually dealt with similar situations in the past. Keep in mind this is how I deal with it and I'm an Idaho cop where guns and gun owners are just part of the scenery. Also I'm a gunowner and a card carrying NRA member.

Tags
carry, gun, police, stop