imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Default "on-duty" vs. "off-duty" police weapons.

I notice that these terms get thrown around a lot, and it has raised a few questions:

1.) Are cops not allowed to carry their issued sidearm when not on duty?

2.) Are they obligated to carry only what their department issues them when on duty, or can they also carry their own choice of sidearm?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM

JCordell can probably shed some more light on this.

However, in my city/county, it isn't so much that the officers aren't allowed to carry their issue piece while off duty, in fact, all of our Deputies are mandated to carry off duty, but just a matter of convience.

The Dept. issues the Glock 17 and the Glock 22, several Deputies carry Government Models, and one carries a S&W Model 13, loaded with the "FBI Load."

Those are big, full sized guns. Kinda hard to carry when not wearing a full duty belt.

So, hence the off duty piece.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I asked my buddy in my local PD. He said that to carry any personal weapon for off duty, you would have to qualify with it just as you would you on duty gun. His department uses the Glock 22/23s and his off duty, depending on weather is the Glock 29 or the S&W Bodyguard .380

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I asked my buddy in my local PD. He said that to carry any personal weapon for off duty, you would have to qualify with it just as you would you on duty gun. His department uses the Glock 22/23s and his off duty, depending on weather is the Glock 29 or the S&W Bodyguard .380
What exactly constitutes "qualifying?"
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Depends on the department and the officer's job.

Generally, it isn't that much, but enough to ensure proficiency, sometimes.

Like, I said it varies by department.

I recently got promoted in the Guard. No more squad to lead, instead I work in the S-3 shop.

Our last qualification, I fired 50 rounds from my Beretta for no score, just shoot the weapon and show I can reload.

The last time before that when I qualified, I shot for score like I was shooting for an expert medal again., which was only 30 rounds, but for score.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
What exactly constitutes "qualifying?"
Demonstrating competence with the weapon.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

And most cops would just go through the motions of qualifications. They would score the LOWEST possible of points that is needed to pass and then move onto their careers. Some, which I like, are perfectionists and they won't leave until they score the highest.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
And most cops would just go through the motions of qualifications. They would score the LOWEST possible of points that is needed to pass and then move onto their careers. Some, which I like, are perfectionists and they won't leave until they score the highest.
Could an officer attempt qualification with any firearm, say, a single-action revolver?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Again, depends on the department. Generally, you have to qualify with what you carry.

Some more rural departments let their officers carry anything, assuming they can qualify with it.

I have a picture of my county's Sheriff and his two deputies, circa 1932, and one of them has a Colt M-1873 of some sort.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM

Everything depends on what department your in. My local department for example requires you to carry while you are in the county and that it must be concealed. Also by default you carry your duty weapon off duty unless you opt to qualify with another gun for off duty.

Tags
off duty, on duty, police, sidearms