imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost
Default "New" Fn Fal being tested by the Argentine Army

Since the 80īs, Argentina is looking for a replacement for the old but reliable Fn Fal, in 50.00 and Para versions. Despite the fact that the old 50.41 is being replaced by the Fn Minimi, thereīs no intention to replace the 7,62x51 with the 5,56x45. So, the replacement for this weapon will be another Fal, based on the DSA rifles.

These are the basic modifications:
* A shorter barrel and handguards;
* The carry handle has been removed;
* New Scope mount with picatinny rail;

Hereīs a pic of one of the prototypes being tested two or one month ago:

In higher resolution: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7048/sdc10666.jpg

PD: I want to see this baby shooting in full auto
Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Uh, wow. That's cool (I like FALs), but that is, in my opinion, WAY too short to be an infantry rifle. Be handy for guys like me but I wouldn't want to be carrying it as No.4 rifleman.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Yes, itīs very short. Theyīre testing wich is the best size for the barrel, but I donīt have much info, maybe a bit longer would be better. The goal is making it the lighter as possible, because itīs too heavy and long to use in the jungle. I think the first who will test the rifle will be the Cazadores de Monte unit ("jungle hunters"):

(here using the 50.00 during an exercise)

Also, thereīs another prototype, in this case, for a designated marksman rifle:

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm surprised they don't just re-tool their factories to make 5.56x45mm FALs that accept the STANAG (which is basically what the Brazilians did).
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I'm surprised they don't just re-tool their factories to make 5.56x45mm FALs that accept the STANAG (which is basically what the Brazilians did).
FM (the factory that produced them) made a Fal prototype in 5,56 in the 80īs, but it wasnīt produced. Anyway, thereīs a few M4 , M16, Fara 83 and Steyr Aug in service, but they think this cardtrige is "too weak".

And about the brazilian Falīs, check their new project (MD97 A2 in 5,56):

Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
FM (the factory that produced them) made a Fal prototype in 5,56 in the 80īs, but it wasnīt produced. Anyway, thereīs a few M4 , M16, Fara 83 and Steyr Aug in service, but they think this cardtrige is "too weak".
Hmmmm, I'm a little surprised then. But I mean, they do appreciate that the logic behind 5.56x45 is mostly wounding, not killing, right?

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that one. Dunno if Brazil's ever gonna have the money to standardize it, though. Even with the enormous modernization program which they began last year (for all branches of their armed forces), I think small arms are still going to be a low priority. They're basically trying to do the whole thing on a shoestring budget (by our standards).

My recollection is that a lot of the defense budget is going towards the new fighter program, as well as the new submarines. Both of which are extremely important if Brazil ever wants to be able to compete with Venezuela for regional military hegemony.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

Brazil is like China: a big country with a big industry. Their fighter program ("FX-2") is, basically, choosing between the Rafale( Lulaīs favourite), Grippen and F-18 and produce them under licence. Thatīs the difference between Brazil and Venezuela. Brazil produces tanks, armored vehicles, helicopters, planes and light weapons, meanwhile Venezuela buy their weapons to the russians.

Quote:
But I mean, they do appreciate that the logic behind 5.56x45 is mostly wounding, not killing, right?
Mmm no, our forcesī doctrine is "one shot, one kill".
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM

Like my section commander in basic said - if you kill a guy, you just pissed off his buddies on either side of him. If you wound him, they have to give him first aid, carry him back, and then he's a burden on his unit and economy for anything from a few days to life.

I have to say, if you're really wedded to the 7.62mm (after 6 months in Afghanistan I will not question the effectiveness of the 5.56mm round), frankly just slapping some rails and maybe ambi controls on the old FN Para FAL would do it for me.

Last edited by Nyles; 04-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
It just looks like one of DS Arms SA58 carbines
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:

Looks kinda like ACRs.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”