imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Hchris Hchris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Ok, please let me do another suggestion then with your opinions taken into account:

OLD NAMES --> NEW NAMES

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) --> no changes

37-mm M1939 (61-K) --> 37 mm automatic air defense gun M1939 (61-K)

5 cm Pak 38 --> no changes

7.5 cm Pak 40 --> 7,5 cm Pak 40

FlaK 38 --> 2 cm Flak 38


This way it would be shorter, and the dashes are removed.

Is this acceptable?

Btw how can I change the page names? Do I have the needed authorizations or can only admins do it?

If I can do it myself, would you please be so kind and post a brief description how to?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Hchris Hchris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchris View Post
Ok, please let me do another suggestion then with your opinions taken into account:

OLD NAMES --> NEW NAMES

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) --> no changes

37-mm M1939 (61-K) --> 37 mm automatic air defense gun M1939 (61-K)

5 cm Pak 38 --> no changes

7.5 cm Pak 40 --> 7,5 cm Pak 40

FlaK 38 --> 2 cm Flak 38


This way it would be shorter, and the dashes are removed.

Is this acceptable?

Btw how can I change the page names? Do I have the needed authorizations or can only admins do it?

If I can do it myself, would you please be so kind and post a brief description how to?

Thanks
Anyone please? I have a lot of stuff prepared and would like to get started.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,978
Default

Shorten automatic air defense in 37 mm M1939 to AAA (to make the name shorter), since it's generally accepted to mean "Automatic Anti-Air", and I'm fine with that. Similarly, we could shorten anti-tank gun in 45 mm M1937 to AT for the reason that it's a generally accepted acronym for "Anti-Tank".

The 7.5 in 7.5 cm Pak 40 should stay as it is because that's how it's done in American English, as this is an American website. I'm not a believer in policies of writing pages in the subject's "native" language format like Wikipedia has.

I'm fine with the rename from Flak 38 to 2 cm Flak 38.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Hchris Hchris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default

So after another review, how about this:

OLD NAMES --> NEW NAMES

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) --> 45 mm AT gun M1937 (53-K)

37-mm M1939 (61-K) --> 37 mm AA gun M1939 (61-K)

5 cm Pak 38 --> no changes

7.5 cm Pak 40 --> no changes

FlaK 38 --> 2 cm Flak 38

What do you think? Could somebody please change the page names to this?

Last edited by Hchris; 02-08-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Hchris Hchris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchris View Post
So after another review, how about this:

OLD NAMES --> NEW NAMES

45 mm anti-tank gun M1937 (53-K) --> 45 mm AT gun M1937 (53-K)

37-mm M1939 (61-K) --> 37 mm AA gun M1939 (61-K)

5 cm Pak 38 --> no changes

7.5 cm Pak 40 --> no changes

FlaK 38 --> 2 cm Flak 38

What do you think? Could somebody please change the page names to this?


Ah found out how to do it, will change the pages according to your suggestions. Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2015, 05:35 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchris View Post
Ah found out how to do it, will change the pages according to your suggestions. Thanks for the input!
You're sticking with the weird European 2 cm (rather than 20 mm) but doing away with FlaK in favor of Flak?
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Hchris Hchris is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
You're sticking with the weird European 2 cm (rather than 20 mm) but doing away with FlaK in favor of Flak?
Yep, this is because it is the most common designation all around the Internet and discussion boards and also called officially that way. People who come here will search for 2 cm.

It is also standardize with the Pak guns which always used the same format.

If you like I can create redirects with mm for those guns?


I know there will be different opinions how this or that should be designated, but we have to find a compromise otherwise we can never make any progress.

I included all your other suggestions in the other guns, but People will always have different opinions.

I hope this is ok for you.


Btw I will work on the other guns the next few days and add even more. There is a ton of work ahead of me but I am almost finished with the 2 cm Flak 38 page (and all related pages).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 AM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
You're sticking with the weird European 2 cm (rather than 20 mm) but doing away with FlaK in favor of Flak?
Europeans use 2cm but Americans (at least when I was in) use 20mm. If we have to set a standard, again, we can do what we did for titles. If there is any confusion or contention on the nomenclature, then being an AMERICAN site, we defer to the American standard. But of course, it is a European weapon then I defer to the original designation
__________________
The trouble is, one requires a specific thing to understand Liam, that thing being "serious head injuries." (Evil Tim 09-09-2011)

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 02-10-2015 at 04:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Europeans use 2cm but Americans (at least when I was in) use 20mm. If we have to set a standard, again, we can do what we did for titles. If there is any confusion or contention on the nomenclature, then being an AMERICAN site, we defer to the American standard. But of course, it is a European weapon then I defer to the original designation
Well, we went with 7.5 cm rather than the European 7,5 cm, why not just go all the way with 75mm?
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-10-2015, 01:15 PM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Well, we went with 7.5 cm rather than the European 7,5 cm, why not just go all the way with 75mm?
The way I see it is that the "7,5 cm" was actually part of the designation of the weapon so it should be included in principle in that form, however I think that we should use a period rather than a comma as this is the equivalent of converting a Cyrillic Russian designation into a Latin alphabet one. After all, in English "7.5 cm" is a sensical dimension but "7,5 cm" isn't and to most native English speakers would seem strange and most likely be perceived as a typo.

Also, with the German designations I am in favour of capitalising the K in PaK and FlaK, as this is essentially the same as what we do for other German weapons like the MKb 42(H), StG 44, StG 45(M), MP 40 and MG 42.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.