imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 AM

I would think the main reason (among others) they're using AKs is probably because they're recognizable as "bad guy" guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Must be, on this HMMWV they just put the Chinese insignia over the American Flag
I don't see why. Humvee usage in China is bound to increase and even trickle into the military once they get enough of the components produced indigenously, so a PLA Humvee wouldn't be all that unrealistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Mo...uring_in_China

Now a "Chinese" M1 Abrams is quite a completely different story, though...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 11-18-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

But they you have to ask yourself. How would the Chinese transport all their vehicles across the ocean en mass? I know there's transports designed for that sort of thing, but they'd need a lot of them to have a force of tanks and AFVs, etc to match up to what we keep in the US.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
But they you have to ask yourself. How would the Chinese transport all their vehicles across the ocean en mass? I know there's transports designed for that sort of thing, but they'd need a lot of them to have a force of tanks and AFVs, etc to match up to what we keep in the US.
Yeah, definitely a valid point, like has previously been pointed out. I was just now thinking that the "captured" Humvees and M1 Abrams (mocked-up Centurions, I know) could be a budgetary tool as well as a way of circumventing the logistical impossibility of a military invasion of the US mainland like we've been discussing.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I do wish armorers can have some kind of special permission to acquire specific weapons for the sake of movie realism.
Armorers already have the ability to import/purchase/manufacture most types of weaponry that none of us can hope to touch in our lifetimes. If they didn't, we wouldn't get to see the latest FN and H&K toys in our favorite films. But Norinco just happens to be a particularly unusual case, due to their notoriety.

As MPM pointed out, legislators don't think to themselves, "Hmmm, how is this going to effect the armorers who supply Hollywood?" when they sign legislation. And since there are only a few dozen armorers working in California (if I recall correctly), they don't have much lobbying power - although there is a group called the AEAA which attempts to fill this niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I would think the main reason (among others) they're using AKs is probably because they're recognizable as "bad guy" guns.
And I think that (along with the legal issues) is probably the best explanation. Everyone associates "Reds" with Kalashnikovs. I'm guessing that the director probably made this creative decision. If the director had insisted on having Type 95/97s, then the armorers would have tried to get him some (either by vismoding another weapon, or by using those new Real Sword airsoft replicas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Yeah, definitely a valid point, like has previously been pointed out. I was just now thinking that the "captured" Humvees and M1 Abrams (mocked-up Centurions, I know) could be a budgetary tool as well as a way of circumventing the logistical impossibility of a military invasion of the US mainland like we've been discussing.
Yeah, that sounds to me like it might be the explanation conoceted by the filmmakers. But I guess we'll find out when the movie gets released.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Most directors don't really care what guns are used unless he's Mann. A majority of the time, guns and weapons in general are the last thing on anyone's mind.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-19-2009, 03:19 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Most directors don't really care what guns are used unless he's Mann. A majority of the time, guns and weapons in general are the last thing on anyone's mind.
True, but I imagine that if the armorer went to the director and asked, "What guns should the Chicoms have - modernized AKs, or futuristic bullpup Type 95/97s?", the director would probably think to himself, "Hmmm, Reds = AKs" and choose the AK-103s.

It's a tendency of people to use mental shortcuts like that, after all.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

I still think the director most likely doesn't care as long as they are using a weapon that best represent Communism and what better weapon than an AK, but it would have been better if they somehow managed to squeeze in QBZs or try to mock some up

Old 11-20-2009, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
For all the things that Hollywood hasn't tried to emulate in terms of how the Chinese are equipped, at least their uniforms (with the exception of the older-style helmets) are fairly accurate:

Movie:

Real:
I wasn't aware the Chinese had pixelized camo now, I thought they used a camo pattern that resembled a bleached-out version of our old Woodland camo pattern, as seen in Battlefield 2 (which is circa 2005).
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904

Here's an example of the camo used by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in Battlefield 2, compared to the above pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF2PLAUniform.jpg (114.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca1_9904 View Post
Here's an example of the camo used by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in Battlefield 2, compared to the above pics:
I would guess they adopted the digital pattern after "Battlefield 2" came out. After all, it was only in 2004-05 that our Army adopted the ACU, and whatever we do, the rest of the world follows later. Maybe the date that the PLA adopted the new pattern is on Sino Defence.com somewhere.

Quote:
I still think the director most likely doesn't care as long as they are using a weapon that best represent Communism and what better weapon than an AK, but it would have been better if they somehow managed to squeeze in QBZs or try to mock some up
It's not so much that the director "cares", but MPM has said that directors usually have the final say on the weapons choices. Since directors don't know or care much about guns, they're likely to pick what they've seen in other movies and TV shows, or what they think the characters should have.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-20-2009 at 06:44 PM.