imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ok, back on topic. I think weapon wise, we all wise they would use current standard firearms used by the Chinese ranging from Assault rifles, SMGs, machine guns, pistols, but in Hollywood, it's never ideal. I mean the remake could at least try to emulate the QBZ-03 which was a newer Chinese assault rifle that emulates the AK-47.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-15-2009, 04:30 AM

Interesting thing is that just across the Detroit River there, they would have been able to acquire Type 97's.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well too bad that the Canadian armorer can't just cross the border with their 97s

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 PM

For all the things that Hollywood hasn't tried to emulate in terms of how the Chinese are equipped, at least their uniforms (with the exception of the older-style helmets) are fairly accurate:

Movie:

Real:

Last edited by Markit; 11-16-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 11-15-2009, 10:07 PM

I though armorers could get post 86 weapons, or convert gns like the hk94 to full auto. I see mp7s umps glock 18s and stuff in modern movies.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I though armorers could get post 86 weapons, or convert gns like the hk94 to full auto. I see mp7s umps glock 18s and stuff in modern movies.
Where in this thread did anyone ever say otherwise? American armorers can get post 86 dealer samples or build them themselves if they are a Title II manufacturer. But the U.S. govt. put the kebosh on importation of even sample CHINESE weapons. capice?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 PM

So the problem is the weapons are chicom, not that they're post 86?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
So the problem is the weapons are chicom, not that they're post 86?
The problem is Norinco the company, and the fact that they got on the bad side of the U.S. government. In the mid-90s, several high-ranking members of Norinco attempted to sell 2,000 Type 56 AK rifles (fully automatic rifles, at that) to undercover Customs agents, with intent to arm street gangs in California. Then, during the early years of the Bush administration, Norinco defied sanctions on Iran by selling them missile technology, so Bush, Jr. clamped down upon their remaining business dealings in this country. As a result, nobody in the U.S. is allowed to import firearms from Norinco anymore.

Of course, since Norinco holds the state monopoly on arms production in China, a ban on all Norinco weapons = ban on all Chicom weapons. But again, the fact that the guns are Chinese is not the problem by itself. After all, Chinese-made weapons were heavily imported into the U.S. during the 80s (as you've no doubt realized by the fact that almost all of the AKs in American action movies are Chinese Type 56s).

Last edited by MT2008; 11-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

I do wish armorers can have some kind of special permission to acquire specific weapons for the sake of movie realism.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I do wish armorers can have some kind of special permission to acquire specific weapons for the sake of movie realism.
Yeah, I wish for warm oil massages from a naked Jessica Alba The Feds won't lift a finger to change or alter federal law/regulations for a sub group so small that it is an indistinguishable blip as far as 'a voting bloc' goes......