imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Message about Evil Tim

Hey, I got this message recently and I want to bring it to everyone's attention.

"
Disclosure: I am PersonOfInterest/BurtReynoldsMoustache/Simsandwich, and I mean you no deception or dishonesty. I’m sending you this message out of good will and concern for IMFDB.

Evil Tim / Vangelis / Dongs is abusing his power. He banned a guy just because he thought that guy was me. He didn’t check the IP’s or do any investigation or anything. The guy’s only crime was “editing the GoldenEye 007 page” which Tim loves so much.

He banned another guy for having a “spammer name”. Not for actually spamming, just for having a spammer name, whatever that means.

Both users reregistered in an attempt to contact Bunni via his talk page, but Tim just banned them both and deleted the entries from Bunni’s page. Is it just me or is it generally considered rude to erase legitimate messages meant for somebody else? And if somebody does have an issue with an admin, what can they do but take it up with the supreme lord Bunni himself? Interfering with other people’s talk pages is inappropriate and should be unacceptable. What other safeguards against admin abuse are there?

One of them vandalized Tim’s talk page, but only after Tim had wrongfully banned him multiple times and interfered with his attempts to contact other admins. Can you blame him?

The other guy has got himself unbanned, but only after going through a massive headache and multiple undue bannings. Neither of these bannings should have occurred in the first place. Also ironically, he finished the editting job the first guy got banned for starting.

I’d also like to remind you that I never vandalised or brought drama to the wiki, I was just unliked on the forums. Evil Tim is actively chasing away new members for spurious reasons. He is going to run this site into the ground.

Check the history on Bunni’s user page to see what’s up.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/index.php?tit...action=history

There’s also an 8 page screed I wrote about this whole issue buried in the talk page history but you don’t need to read it to see what’s going on. You can if you want to, I don’t expect you to, but it gives a lot of good reasons for why Tim is toxic for this site and explains some of the mysteries surrounding myself.

Well that’s all I have to say, good bye.

"

Thoughts everyone?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Yeah, he sent that to basically everyone. Usual Burt, it's lies and exaggeration plastered over anything resembling fact until it's more or less unrecognisable.

One ban was honest mistaken identity, one of those name / name accounts the XRumer bots tend to use. Turned out to be a real user, and despite his cussing me out I unbanned him. I'd point out we've probably banned about a thousand of these accounts without letting them post with about two known false positives so far (this guy and one Ben banned), which is really not that bad going, and "Spambot user name" is one of the form letter ban options, not just something I made up that one time. I didn't ban that guy after he re-registered, that's just a good demonstration that Burt is incapable of telling the truth without embellishing it. I guess in Burt's private universe being banned once and then unbanned despite calling the banning admin an imbecile counts as "a massive headache and multiple undue bannings."

The second guy I'm still on the fence about; it's very coincidental that Burt should just happen to come back and claim this guy isn't him. Still, in spite of his conduct (and the vandalism certainly wasn't just your regular angry guy) I've given him a chance.

Burt's skreed I removed from Bunni's talk page because he's a banned user and the others because they were violating content rules (ie swearing like wounded pirates; it's kind of telling that Burt thinks a "legitimate message" can involve calling someone a "fucking idiot"). Contrary to reports from the Burt-verse, I didn't delete Glock17Gen4's two earlier posts. Bunni gets an email notification for any post to his talk page anyway, so it's not like I could hide those posts from him even if I wanted to.

Also got to love acknowledging he was POI and saying he never bought drama to the wiki in the same post, that's some top-drawer denial he's got going there.

Last edited by Vangelis; 04-10-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I got something like that too. The guy is pissed because Tim ousted him before. Let him whine all he wants.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Thoughts everyone?
My only thought is this: Giving any thought to Burt/POI is giving him more than he deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
The second guy I'm still on the fence about; it's very coincidental that Burt should just happen to come back and claim this guy isn't him. Still, in spite of his conduct (and the vandalism certainly wasn't just your regular angry guy) I've given him a chance.
I'm not sure; I would trust your instincts on this. When Burt first appeared on the site and forum (and if I recall, he first appeared around the same time that POI was on a temp-ban), I remember thinking initially that he and POI were the same person. He shared POI's penchant for polemics and deliberately provoking users whom he knew would respond (like Zulu). But I doubted myself because unlike POI, Burt was actually respectful towards me and even sometimes apologized for letting debates get out of hand (whereas POI would always deny he had done anything wrong and blame me for having "control issues"). That's also why I denied that Burt and POI were the same person when we discussed Burt's ban in that one topic, even though you had good evidence at the time indicating the connection between the two.

In retrospect, now that we know Burt and POI really are the same person, I realize that Burt wasn't nice to me me because he had a change of heart, just a change of tactics: He realized that if he could stay on my good side, I wouldn't think he was POI and wouldn't ban him. In other words, I actually allowed Burt to manipulate me. As an Admin and moderator, I should never have allowed this to happen.

My point is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing the same thing to you. Just because he denies he's Burt/POI and kisses your ass does NOT mean it's not the same guy: It just means he's being crafty and deceptive. I would encourage you to investigate further.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-11-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Does anyone remember the good old days when we never had these kinds of users. We were a fresh new site that had a lot of potential?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
In retrospect, now that we know Burt and POI really are the same person, I realize that Burt wasn't nice to me me because he had a change of heart, just a change of tactics: He realized that if he could stay on my good side, I wouldn't think he was POI and wouldn't ban him. In other words, I actually allowed Burt to manipulate me. As an Admin and moderator, I should never have allowed this to happen.
Yeah, with a guy like Burt you have to remember the world is divided into two parts: people who can do things for him, and scum. The former become the latter if they stop being able to give him what he wants.

The thing here is I can see two roughly equally likely scenarios for what's happening:

1. Burt's trying to paint a new account as a completely different person.

2. Burt's playing the opportunist and blowing something out of proportion that has nothing to do with him, not caring in the slightest how it affects the person he's "defending" since he's doing it out of spite rather than altruism.

I'll certainly keep an eye out, but even if Burt can flatter people who can do things for him, he can't hide his contempt for those who can't forever. And with users that try to hide, remember; if you force someone to post in such a way that none of their personality shows through, you've effectively made them ban themselves.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Well, regardless of who Tim banned or why, I think you guys are doing a great job.

And besides, it's yall's sandbox, y'all get to make the rule.

and if that includes banning leftist pinko commie trolles, then good riddance.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I'll certainly keep an eye out, but even if Burt can flatter people who can do things for him, he can't hide his contempt for those who can't forever. And with users that try to hide, remember; if you force someone to post in such a way that none of their personality shows through, you've effectively made them ban themselves.
Very true; even though I (inadvertently) gave POI another chance by letting him post as Burt, it made no difference in the long run because the personality characteristics that got POI banned eventually surfaced in Burt and led to the same result. I am sure that if this other guy is Burt, too, we'll figure it out. Burt will always be Burt, but the more familiar he becomes to us, the more confident we can be that we'll get him every time.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Personally... I have always found Tim to be a little Evil. Maybe that's just me though... Joking of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Well, regardless of who Tim banned or why, I think you guys are doing a great job.
I'm with SPEMack. You guys are doing a GREAT job so keep up the good work.

-Z
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 AM

What's with all the obsession over this GoldenEye page? This sounds a bit off topic, I know, but it seems to me that it's the basis of a whole lot of recent conflicts on this site. I'm not saying "delete it NOOOW!" or anything, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman