imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 AM

Talking My dad is now like...top 10 best dads in Illinois

I came home from work and he asked me:
"J, if i was to buy a Glock, what caliber would you want?"
Oh yea and he's buying one too. I told him that I would prefer a glock 21 because i miss my .45, but he's going for a 20 in 10mm for animal attacks. (They are quiet common in our line of work). but im so happy that im getting a pistol again. gaaa! and hyper.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

10mm? Expensive

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

If I were you, I'd avoid 10mm. Nobody shoots that caliber anymore, for good reason. Also, what advantage does 10mm have against animals? .45 seems to make more sense.

And if you're going to get a Glock 21, I'd consider the SF model instead of the regular model. The regular G21 is pretty fat and hard to grip, unless you have huge hands.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

And what kind of animal? A bear? A wolf? I mean, several shots from a 9mm in quick succession would stop most animals that aren't huge things and the sound alone would scare them off.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
And what kind of animal? A bear? A wolf? I mean, several shots from a 9mm in quick succession would stop most animals that aren't huge things and the sound alone would scare them off.
What about a feral hog? I hate them, if you´re in the woods, they are a problem. The farmers don´t go out without a .44 or .45.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM

We thought about 9x19mms, but my dad personally doesnt like them. i was thinking about the SF model and we heard that the 10 mm can take down larger animals (like hogs, which charged my dad while he was out of town).
Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

wow. Everybody should be congratulating him and telling him what a great dad he has instead of nitpicking his choice of caliber. I've seen plenty of 10mm for sale in my neck of the woods by the way. Can't speak for Illinois however.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:10 AM

It's real cool that you're thinking about getting a new pistol. That's always fun as hell.

I don't know why everyone hates on 10mm, though it is definitely less than common ammunition. It's basically .357 Magnum for Automatic Handguns, and can do some damage. I can only imagine the muzzle flip on them, especially with a polymer frame Glock. If you think you can take the kick, and can get ahold of ammo without breaking the bank, go ahead and get a Glock 20.

If you want a super practical Glock though, it comes down to the 17, the 21SF, or the 22, and the 19 and 23 if you like compacts. the 9mm, .45 ACP and .40 S&W are all good and popular handgun loads (I consider them the "big three" of automatic calibers) and you trade a bit of range/accuracy off for power as you go in one direction or another. I'd personally go with a 9mm but if your dad doesn't care for it, I'd say get the 21SF. If that costs too much to shoot or is too big for you guys, then there's the .40 Caliber Glock 22. Not as much accuracy or ease of follow up as the 9mm or the stopping power of the .45 ACP, but it's the intermediate round. S'all up to your preference really.

Some might say get a .45 G.A.P or a .357 SIG, but the .45 Glock round isnt as powerful as the original .45 ACP cartridge, nor as popular, and the .357 SIG is expensive and fairly hot, almost as hot as low power 10mm loads. Stick with a 9/.40/.45.

Well, there's my two cents worth.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markost View Post
What about a feral hog? I hate them, if you´re in the woods, they are a problem. The farmers don´t go out without a .44 or .45.
Then get a shotgun. Nothing stops a charging animal better than a 12 gauge. Or get a rifle.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
wow. Everybody should be congratulating him and telling him what a great dad he has instead of nitpicking his choice of caliber. I've seen plenty of 10mm for sale in my neck of the woods by the way. Can't speak for Illinois however.
He hasn't bought the gun yet. So there is nothing to congratulate him about exactly. Whereas there is an opportunity to make a suggestion about choice of weapon/caliber.

10mm may have hunting advantages (I'll defer to Wikipedia on this, because I don't hunt and I've never shot a 10mm pistol myself), but I think it's been common knowledge for the better part of the last 20 years that it has little utility for almost any other purpose. Even if you really do want 10mm, a Glock is not necessarily the ideal weapon you want for that cartridge...for the reason that YourNameHere mentioned. If you were going with a metal-framed 10mm pistol instead, it might make more sense. It depends on what you want more...do you want a Glock, or do you just want a 10mm pistol?

Last edited by MT2008; 10-14-2009 at 02:37 AM.