imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Default Why do I keep buying guns in Afghanistan?

Cause I've got fuck all else to do in my free time, that's why. But I also keep getting some pretty awesome deals.

First up is a Steyr 1912 pistol in 9 x 23mm Steyr, WW1 Austrian issue. Some of you may recall I already have a Chilean Contract 1911 (Steyr, not Colt), which is the same gun with a different front sight. Well, for historical reasons I've really wanted to upgrade to an Austrian issue piece. In terms of production numbers the Chileans are actually much, much rarer (3000 total purchased) but the Austrians are much harder to find in Canada. I've never heard a good reason why. I'll likely sell the Chilean when I get home.

Next is a Snider-Enfield 3 band infantry rifle in .577 Snider - can't tell the exact model from the picture, but it's likely a Mk.II**. I already had and sold a Snider long rifle, as the guy completely screwed me on it, but this one is a pretty nice example from a reputable dealer. It's also Canadian marked, which is a huge bonus. It'll look pretty cool next to my cavalry carbine as well - now I just need a 2 band short rifle! And then I'll inevitably get into the rarer carbines, knowing me. The best part is I got the Steyr and the Snider for $900, which is still on the low end for a Canadian marked in 3 bander, and by market value I'm basically getting the Steyr for free.

Finally, and I imagine most exciting for most here, is a very rare bird in the great white north (and not all that common in the states either), a US Krag M1898 rifle. Original condition Krags of any type are almost unheard of back home, and even then most of the sporters you see are Norwegian. Oddly enough you can still get .30-40 Krag ammo in any decent gun shop. I don't know why, the whole time I worked at Cabelas nobody ever bought any. This one is very nice and very clean, and was priced not-unreasonably for what it is. Now I just need a (similarly oddly hard to find) Spanish M1893 Mauser. (Yes, I know the M1896 was the rifle used in the Spanish-American War, but the 1898 was hard enough to find.)

Last edited by Nyles; 03-16-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

When does your museum open to the public? I'm sorry, but...one man should not have that much stuff in his private collection solely for his own use.

Seriously, congrats on the new purchases...and how are things going over there? Are you still out working 16-hour days?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Great collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
But, as you predicted, this beauty is the one that stands out to me.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM

And you have no problem bringing them on base and shipping them back to canada?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Well, I'm not buying them in Afghanistan. Buying them back home and having them sent to my house.