imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
There are plenty of hybrids like that. The top seller in hybrids is the Prius, but it's followed by the hybrid Civic, hybrid Camry, hybrid Highlander, and hybrid Escape.
The Prius floats. My father's Uncle Fred almost got swept away during a flood because of it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 AM

Prius has poor rear visibility due to high trunk and narrow window.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-16-2010, 03:42 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I forgot to mention that there's an episode of "The Closer" where Kyra Sedgewick's squad is trying to track down a group of teenagers who are plotting a mass shooting. The teenagers have acquired M4s, body armor, propane tanks, and detonators. What's seriously retarded, though, is that at one point in the episode, the squad goes back to the mall where they got the propane tanks, and Sedgewick says that she wants to check out a sporting goods store at the mall where she thinks they bought their guns. In other words, the show is implying that kids can get M4s at their local mall sporting goods store!

Ben41 told me on the discussion page for the show that I was mistaken about this, but I watched the episode again, and I don't believe I am. I consider the promotion of such ignorance to be quite "anti-gun".

Last edited by MT2008; 12-16-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I forgot to mention that there's an episode of "The Closer" where Kyra Sedgewick's squad is trying to track down a group of teenagers who are plotting a mass shooting. The teenagers have acquired M4s, body armor, propane tanks, and detonators. What's seriously retarded, though, is that at one point in the episode, the squad goes back to the mall where they got the propane tanks, and Sedgewick says that she wants to check out a sporting goods store at the mall where she thinks they bought their guns. In other words, the show is implying that kids can get M4s at their local mall sporting goods store!

Ben41 told me on the discussion page for the show that I was mistaken about this, but I watched the episode again, and I don't believe I am. I consider the promotion of such ignorance to be quite "anti-gun".
Sporting goods store? That carries guns? In a mall? Bullshit

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Didn't they have one in the original Dawn of the Dead?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Didn't they have one in the original Dawn of the Dead?
I have a sporting goods store in my mall and they have guns in the "Hunting" section.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I bought my Mossberg from a Dick's sporting goods store. But I don't know any sporting goods stores that carry evil black assault weapons, and obviously, buying a full-auto M4 is something that would be impossible.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

Were these "M4s" full auto in the episode? But let's put that aside. Say a sporting goods store DID sell AR-15s and they looked like M4s, as in stock, carrying handle, receivers, and barrel length being close enough. I don't think stores are allowed to sell anything shorter than 16in barrels. And let's say this fictional store just sells a standard 16in barrel length. These are teenagers. They couldn't have legally bought rifles unless they are 18, which I am assuming the episode is implying they are not and if they showed the "M4s" shooting full auto, how many teens know how to convert civilian rifles to full auto? And body armor? Did the episode say how they get those?

And you don't just "buy" detonators for anything, unless they took some from construction grade explosive and even then, that's a stretch.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Were these "M4s" full auto in the episode? But let's put that aside. Say a sporting goods store DID sell AR-15s and they looked like M4s, as in stock, carrying handle, receivers, and barrel length being close enough. I don't think stores are allowed to sell anything shorter than 16in barrels. And let's say this fictional store just sells a standard 16in barrel length. These are teenagers. They couldn't have legally bought rifles unless they are 18, which I am assuming the episode is implying they are not and if they showed the "M4s" shooting full auto, how many teens know how to convert civilian rifles to full auto? And body armor? Did the episode say how they get those?

And you don't just "buy" detonators for anything, unless they took some from construction grade explosive and even then, that's a stretch.
Also were they supposed to be rich kids? I could barely afford gas to put in my car in high school. It was way cheaper back then too, 10 years ago. Of course I think minimum wage was around $5.15.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Were these "M4s" full auto in the episode?
Yes. One of the boys (the last one they don't catch beforehand) uses an M4 in a mall shooting at the end of the episode, and it's fired on full-auto. Of course, despite the fact that they have only their sidearms, they still manage to take him down.

Quote:
But let's put that aside. Say a sporting goods store DID sell AR-15s and they looked like M4s, as in stock, carrying handle, receivers, and barrel length being close enough. I don't think stores are allowed to sell anything shorter than 16in barrels.
Of course not. A rifle with a barrel under 16" (or 26" overall length) would be an SBR, and therefore regulated by the NFA. The M4s used in the episode of "The Closer" had 14.5" barrels.

Quote:
And let's say this fictional store just sells a standard 16in barrel length. These are teenagers. They couldn't have legally bought rifles unless they are 18, which I am assuming the episode is implying they are not
I think one of them was 18. I don't remember.

Quote:
And body armor? Did the episode say how they get those?
No. I'm assuming that the idiots who wrote the episode figured that they could have got the vests from the sporting goods store, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Also were they supposed to be rich kids?
Middle class, maybe upper-middle class. Not like filthy rich.