imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingJames View Post
It's that kind of movie. I sincerely doubt there are law makers sitting around saying "Did you see what that rifle did in navy seals? We have to ban it!"
Not familiar with the Assault Weapons Ban? Gun law is made by morons.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Well, it's also a dumb quote because he's saying gay marriage is wrong. . I'm not gay myself but I know a few gay kids in my school who get a lot of shit their way, so I support gay marriage.

Like I said, I don't want to cause bad arguments here, so lets end it at that.
Is it possible that it was actually a joke, and he meant "gay" as in "happy"? Admittedly, Arnie's never struck me as a guy whose command of the English language (or intelligence) would allow him to think up such subtleties, but it's something to consider.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
How many rounds would that be? 300,000 rounds of all calibers according to an article.

I know how many 7.62x39 blank we fired on We Were Soldiers. We fired 250,000 rounds of just 7.62x39. I would say about 200,000 rounds of .223 and 60,000 rounds of 7.62 NATO. Not sure of the 9mm or 7.62x54R fired on the show. It is well over 500,000 rounds used up on one show.
How many pull thru patchs, litres of "break free" and swear words did you go through cleaning all that?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy001 View Post
How many pull thru patchs, litres of "break free" and swear words did you go through cleaning all that?
It was a lot of cleaning which everyone pitched in when I showed them what to do. It worked out to about 3 hours after wrap to prep guns and reload mags for the next day. That was everyday for 3.5 months and swear words I lost count on how many.

It was amazing seeing the empty crates and cases stacked the outside the trailer that just continued to grow.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Is it possible that it was actually a joke, and he meant "gay" as in "happy"? Admittedly, Arnie's never struck me as a guy whose command of the English language (or intelligence) would allow him to think up such subtleties, but it's something to consider.
Using "gay" to refer to "happy" isn't really a common expression anymore (it's more old english IMO), and like you said, Arnie is really the most eloquent person out there when it comes to the English language. But it could maybe, possibly be possible.

More than likely it was a Freudian Slip, since he was talking about gay marriage in the first place. It's not a big deal though.

Back on topic again, I may have to consider Predator as a top one on the list, since the clearing of the forrest likely took more than one take and easily 1000s of rounds were fired in each take. (God knows how many times that Minigun backpack was reloaded, since in reality it went empty every five seconds)
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 AM

Default actors

Dunno about blanks and the definition of "actors" (holders of a Screen Actors Guild card?).....But real ammo has to be the cast of Myth Busters.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Cannon

Default Wow

I can only imagine the response had I posed an even remotely political question.
To those who stayed on topic..thank you. Yes..Starship Troopers did hold the record for most blanks let off during a production.
To those who went off topic....I enjoyed that too. Well done to all.
As for the .50 cal "experts"..think Raufoss rounds...or SLAP rounds..and you'll certainly see some of the major damage you contend are wish list items of movie directors.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
As for the .50 cal "experts"..think Raufoss rounds...or SLAP rounds..and you'll certainly see some of the major damage you contend are wish list items of movie directors.
SLAP isn't magic, I'm afraid, it's still not going to do a whole hell of a lot to an armoured rail car [4.25 inches of stainless steel, then 1.5 inches of depleted uranium, then 0.5 inches of lead] and would pass straight through a human without throwing them anywhere. And if you shoot a human with a Raufoss, statistically 50% of the time it will pass right through them before detonating. You're still not going to see people sent flying into the air unless you're shooting a brick at them because the physics of it just don't work.

Last edited by Vangelis; 07-23-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

I've heard people say the Raofuss rounds could severe arms much like we see in COD4, but I'm not too inclined to believe them. Who exactly decided a .50 cal needed more punch? Or should I say "slap"?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

I've heard stories of that happening, and I can see how if you hit a joint the tissue damage might be enough to sever an arm. But you're still not going to be throwing people into the air due to simple physics; the human body just can't offer enough resistance to the bullet to make the bullet transfer that amount of energy to it, and the bullet's point will make it pierce the target rather than shove it backwards.