imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Smile Public Enemies

Type of shoulder holster Depp's character used??

thanks....
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

It was a butts-forward cross-draw shoulder holster to hold his two .45s. Most of us know guns better than holsters, but I'll try to research the make (since it's a Michael Mann film, surely he's wearing the same type the real Dillinger would have worn).
Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I wonder did Dillenger really drew his 1911s akimbo like John Woo...before John Woo.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I wonder did Dillenger really drew his 1911s akimbo like John Woo...before John Woo.
I watched one of John Woo's film, with his audio commentary. I think it was MI-2. He said he took using two guns from Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. There are tons of other westerns that probably do it too. The Outlaw Josey Wales & True Grit come to mind. Nobody watches westerns anymore.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

I know, it's sad. You can see I've done a lot of westerns for IMFDb though, so at least I do. How many other sixteen-year-olds watch westerns? Very few... Only a few wise ones have ever seen The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but that's it.

I grew up on John Wayne (from my grandpa's fan base) and Clint Eastwood (from my fan base), so I own lots of good westerns.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Ah yes one of my favorite Clint Eastwood films, the Good bad and the Ugly

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

It's a great movie, if you can ignore the huge amounts of gun anachronisms . The duel in the graveyard at the end is one of the best I've ever seen. Great buildup, it seemed so much longer of a wait the first time I watched to now, when I rewatch it. I like GBU much more than the first two Leone westerns, but they were all okay.

One western I'm not particulary fond of is Pale Rider, the movie was somewhat boring until the end, when Preacher finally got his guns and kicked ass.

Unforgiven is my all time favorite western though, as well as one of my favorite movies ever. Great ending. I kind of wish Gran Torino could have ended more like Unforgiven, that would have been more awesome.

Before I saw Unforgiven, my favorite western was True Grit, although now that I watch it at an older age, Kim Darby's suck-ass acting kind of distracts me from enjoying certain scenes. Apparantly John Wayne wasn't too fond of Darby in real life (thought she was stuck up and spoiled), so I guess I'm not the only one...

Oh, BTW oddjob, this discussion is just for the hell of it until someone figures out the holsters.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
IMFDB Admin

The original Magnificent Seven, based off of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai was a good western

Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

I haven't seen it since I was about 8 so I don't remember it well. I wanted to watch it recently on DVD, but the one my uncle let me borrow was cracked in half, so I still didn't get to. I would have screencapped it had it been in tact.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
It's a great movie, if you can ignore the huge amounts of gun anachronisms . The duel in the graveyard at the end is one of the best I've ever seen. Great buildup, it seemed so much longer of a wait the first time I watched to now, when I rewatch it. I like GBU much more than the first two Leone westerns, but they were all okay.

One western I'm not particulary fond of is Pale Rider, the movie was somewhat boring until the end, when Preacher finally got his guns and kicked ass.
I prefer A Few Dollars More over GBU. Mainly because it's fun to see Lee Van Cleef playing a good guy.

I like Pale Rider, but its just really a copy of Shane. One of my favorites of Eastwood's that isn't as populars as others is High Plains Drifter. He's not a bad guy, but damn sure not a good guy.

I use to hate watching westerns, didn't start liking them to till my early 20's.