imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Zombie Survival - Choice of Firearm

So this has probably been done to death, but what would YOU lock and load with in the event of a zombie apocalypse?

You should probably include a why, as well as what you think the zombies would actually be like, otherwise your choice could seem ridiculous.(eg taking a shotgun because it removes limbs at 50feet...)
Old 05-15-2009, 11:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well zombie killing is more like an art form in my opinion, you don't fight them like you fight regular people and of course depends on which kind of zombies, the slow kind, the running kind.

Let's start off with the slow kind, and that the zombie virus spreads by bite, and a zombie blood making contact with your blood or sometime simple. First off just in case, always fight zombies wearing eye protecting, full seal goggles to prevent splash back of blood into your eyes.

That aside, there are several guns you should have, also remember if these are the zombies that won't die unless you shoot them in the head, never waste ammo. Handguns, I say you can stick to a 9mm since a zombie doesn't feel pain so stopping power wouldn't matter if all you are doing is going for head shots. Hollow points should do. The less kick a handgun makes the better for aiming.

The shotgun is one of the more popular firearms for zombie killing. I say only use a shotgun only when it's close range. 00 Buck or slugs, the kind that can either blow a hole through a head or blow the head clean off

Rifles are a different sort, depending on how much ammo you can get, and how good your aim is. Say a bolt action sniper rifle with a proper scope for shooting.

For mid to long range you can get a semi auto rifle. Try not to use full auto weapons since the recoil wouldn't amount to anything. It isn't like zombies are afraid of suppression fire.

If you can get your hands on a machine gun, or even an LMG, I would only use that as a last resort to hold down a whole hoard of zombies storming at you, otherwise, you'd be wasting hard earn ammo that can be used in semi auto well aimed shots.

I'd also recommend learning how to make explosive and fire bombs to maim and burn zombies as much of them as possible. If one of your pipe bombs managed to blow off a zombie's limbs but not kill him, o well, but at least it cant crawl towards you.

Depending on where you fight will depend on how you use your firearms.

If you are holding down a strong hold, you'd better save bullets unless you have several thousand rounds of rifle ammo to pick off things cause you are bored

If you are running and gunning then you need to conserve ammo and aim close. If you had no choice but to plow through a crowd of zombies, then use the shotgun, perferably a semi auto shotgun.

Also, don't forget one of the best zombie killing weapons, a plain old metal shovel

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Im going to say that the only zombies that seem feasible are rage zombies, as the whole walking without heart/lung/anything but a diseased brain thing is stpid, at least 28 days had living people.....

Now, I may just go with a complete loadot, some top notch 1911s, a REvolver, maybe the 686pcombat i see availible around here, and a 9mm, that way i have my preferred 1911s but have more choices when it comes to scrounging for ammo. I would get a rifle, although i dont like the m16 series mch, tehreres ammo and parts, and if i link up with soldoiers ammo sharing comes into account. I could check police stations for an mp5 as backup too,hopefully supressed for when stealth is in need.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM

In "sequel" of Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z, US army created new rifle that to me seemed quite similar to M1. Any thoughts about having the "Rifle That Won WW2" for WWZ?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:34 PM

m14, all the way
Old 05-15-2009, 06:53 PM

The "Zombie Survival Guide" that Alko mentioned highly recommend a M1 Carbine. Mainly because it's compact, durable, and can be used as a melee weapon assuming you have a wood stock or bayonet lug.

My brother had a pretty good idea for weapons. (Well kind of good) He said he'd use a MP5 and a Glock 17, which is not a bad idea since he'd only need to carry one type of ammo. The only problem with that idea is the MP5.

I still think he had a good idea with only need to carry one type of ammo. So I thought about using something like a Beretta Storm or HK USC and carry a 1911 as a sidearm. And of course must have shotgun! Maybe that Remington 11-87 I had my eye on.

(Day Dream)

(/Day Dream)

LOL! A guy can dream can't he.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

No full auto gun is necessary. Like the previous posters said, Zombies are not reactive to suppressive fire nor are they effected by body hits or hits to their extremities. They won't bleed out nor will they stop the attack to seek medical attention.

Anyone who thinks ANY full auto firearm is anything more than a waste of ammunition is smoking crack.

Pistol for closeup work.

Best is shotgun with 00, but the round limitations are a problem

Nice semi auto long gun with scope for medium to far work.

Just head shots are hard, but that's all you would have to worry about. You don't have to worry about cover/concealment by the enemy nor would you have to worry about them wearing body armor or firing back.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Having studied how to break a human body when i studies Jujitsu there is an argument for shots to bodyparts other than the head. If one breaks a load bearing bone(like a leg or a hip), then the body simply canno support itself properly. I don't care if you are a frigging powerlifter, if your hips blown out then you are not walking anywhere.

Basically I'm saying that mobility kills can be very effective when buying time to employ something more perminant.

As far as Anti-Zombie weapons I'm of thought of a Supressed SIG P226R and an HK-21E with adaptors for both caliber and magazine/belt feed. Now I'm not planning on useing it as a supression weapon but as a heavy long ranged rifle. The weapon is fitted with a scope in some counterterrorist units, and the reported accuracy is very good for a support weapon.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I actually beg to differ about zombies bleeding out. In my theories of an undead body brought back to life through some sort of virus or bacterial infection, it's more like an incomplete reserruection on a person, like you try to bring someone back to life through CPR but was only partly successful, meaning that there's enough energy flowing through the nerves system for the brain to control movement.

A zombie might not feel pain, but an undead body can still suffer from the limitations of the human form. Since this is also not a fully living body, it is constantly rotting and will eventually rot away, but if they come, we wont have the time to wait until they drop dead again.

To move a body, your muscles need to work, some degree of blood needs to flow towards it. Shooting a zombie up might slow it down, but it still needs massive blood lost and body damage to shock the nervous system into a state where even if it is undead, it can't move on, but that kind of suggestion means we'd have to waste a ton of ammo when a well placed head shot can do the job simple.

Just because we see one method of killing zombies in fiction, doesnt mean other means dont work.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I actually beg to differ about zombies bleeding out. In my theories of an undead body brought back to life through some sort of virus or bacterial infection, it's more like an incomplete reserruection on a person, like you try to bring someone back to life through CPR but was only partly successful, meaning that there's enough energy flowing through the nerves system for the brain to control movement.

A zombie might not feel pain, but an undead body can still suffer from the limitations of the human form. Since this is also not a fully living body, it is constantly rotting and will eventually rot away, but if they come, we wont have the time to wait until they drop dead again.

To move a body, your muscles need to work, some degree of blood needs to flow towards it. Shooting a zombie up might slow it down, but it still needs massive blood lost and body damage to shock the nervous system into a state where even if it is undead, it can't move on, but that kind of suggestion means we'd have to waste a ton of ammo when a well placed head shot can do the job simple.

Just because we see one method of killing zombies in fiction, doesnt mean other means dont work.
That's YOUR theory and that's fine, but that's not many folks' theories, including MINE We all know that this is fiction so there is no TRUE answer, but I've always (a) considered that the living dead don't have a working heart. Without a working heart blood won't flow, period. Also they've been shown to be SHOT IN THE CHEST and it doesn't stop them, so it supports my NO WORKING HEART theory. (b) they are not shown bleeding, the only viscera is that which is shown flying when hit by rounds. In fact in all incarnations of the Romero series, the blood starts to decay and turn black or coagulate the more decayed they are, thus eliminating the theory that blood keeps them mobile. there is NO theory to keep them mobile other than the sci fi theory of Nannites. Since by being resurrected they're ALREADY violating the laws of physics as well as biology, so something extra-natural has to be occurring. But then arguing about what keeps zombies mobile is as worthless as arguing as to why anti gun Libtards are stupid. They just are.
Closed Thread