imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Default A "Did you Know...?" section

I was thinking that a little box on the front page displaying random facts or interesting notes would be neat. The following would be a few things that people might find interesting:

... that the gold plated [[Taurus PT92]] with pearl grips and a black barrel used on ''[[Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball]]'' also saw use in ''[[Driven to Kill]]''?

... that a lot of television series substitute the [[M249]] for visually modified [[Daewoo K3]] machine guns?

... that there are barely any discernible differences between the outward appearance of the [[Beretta_M9#Beretta_92F.2FFS|Beretta 92F]] and [[Beretta_M9#Beretta_92F.2FFS|Beretta 92FS]]?

... that most firearms used on ''[[A-Team, The|The A-Team]]'' are actually semi-automatic only? The actors were told to pull the triggers rapidly and in conjunction with the sound and special effects the illusion of automatic fire was achieved.

... that a lot of the [[Heckler_%26_Koch_PSG1#Heckler_.26_Koch_SR9_series_ of_Sniper_Rifles|Heckler & Koch SR9]] sniper rifles seen on-screen are actually converted [[Heckler_%26_Koch_PSG1#Heckler_.26_Koch_HK9|Heckler & Koch HK91]]?

... that the pages for shows like ''[[24]]'' and ''[[Miami_Vice_(TV_Series)|Miami Vice]]'' became too big at some point, so each Season was given it´s very own page?

... that [[Bruce Willis]] used a [[Die_Hard#Beretta_92F|Beretta 92F]] in the first ''[[Die Hard]]'' movie, but a [[Die_Hard_with_a_Vengeance#Beretta_92FS|Beretta 92FS]] in the [[Die Hard 2|second]] and [[Die Hard with a Vengeance|third]]?

... that during Yuri Orlovs ([[Nicolas Cage]]) review of the weapon stockpile in ''[[Lord of War]]'', the production actually used 3.000 real [[Lord_of_War#SA_Vz.58_Assault_Rifle|SA Vz.58 assault rifle]]s?

... that the [[Cobray 37mm Launcher]] is often used to impersonate the [[M203]]?

... that most of the weapons seen on ''[[Torchwood]]'' are actually airsoft?

these are only suggestions. The only problem right now is that there really is no more space on the front page for it.
A kid in green tights broke into my house and smashed all my shit with a sword. Fuck video games.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM

I think it's an interesting idea. I'd reword it though and would not use "Did You Know" as I think it comes off a little elementary schoolish.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

I guess you could call it IMFDB Trivia page. We have something similar, but it has to do with what MPM has brought to the site. http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Movie...7s_Own_Armorer
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Never noticed he had such a page up, thanks for the link.
A kid in green tights broke into my house and smashed all my shit with a sword. Fuck video games.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That does sound like a good idea

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I guess you could call it IMFDB Trivia page. We have something similar, but it has to do with what MPM has brought to the site. http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Movie...7s_Own_Armorer
aaaaaaah! Forgot that page existed. I was embarrassed then. I am embarrassed now. Note that I never edited nor contributed to that page. I just don't want other armorers to feel slighted in any way. My only real source of pride is my gun photography for IMFDB. There are tons of armorers who do tons more work. I will continue to try to custom build variants to match those seen in certain films and photograph them for IMFDB. Though I still find the page a bit embarrassing I must at least thank the IMFDB members who made it for the very very kind compliments, unwarranted though they may be.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 01-22-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Site Manager

I like the idea too, anyone else have any thoughts? It could be implemented on the main page just like the quotes/featured articles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
He doesn't. He just floats around and lets the members of the Imperium decide on the fate of condemned pages. He gave the membership the power and thus trusts us to use it wisely.......
Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well I like to add a new thing under the daily quotes from movies. We have a section for the trivia

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-23-2011, 12:06 PM

You da man, MPM.
Being the website's claim to fame, we need you to stick around and be awesome like always.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Site Manager

I added it to the front page and created a Trivia template so it can be added to. I took out the piece about the imfdb article pages as I feel we should focus on film/television/firearm trivia. Let me know your thoughts on the formatting... it's getting a little crowded and I want to make sure it's not hard to follow/read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
He doesn't. He just floats around and lets the members of the Imperium decide on the fate of condemned pages. He gave the membership the power and thus trusts us to use it wisely.......