imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Why are foreign members being so problematic recently?

Now I am not criticizing ANYONE for not being an American, and we have some really GREAT contributors who are not American (you guys know who you are as do all of the other IMFDB users, you bring quality and hard work to IMFDB and I thank you).

But I've gotten into more 'fights' with foreigner (as in Non-American) members in the last six months. Everything from mistake laden Chinese members to a recent wave of vulgar and vandalizing Brits to sanctimonious Russians (who bitch that we don't let them fill the site with Cyrillic) to whining East Indians. (yes that last paragraph was SUPPOSED to be politically incorrect).

I WANT great work from people in other countries, because I like having that information on IMFDB, but so many of them just don't GET IT. Crap pages, fighting with the Mods, bad editing, really ugly screencaps or no screencaps at all, did I mention CRAP PAGES?

The language barrier is one thing, but the attitude is another. I am patient with well meaning members who openly admit that they are struggling with the language but want to be a contributing member. But I am finding that the 'fan boy' mentality (arrogant, know it all, profane, etc.) pollutes all the major cities of the world.

I reiterate that I want good contributing members from all around the world. I am so very disappointed in the quality of many contributions outside of the U.S.

Am I wrong on this? Comments questions and discussions welcome.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Nope you won't get an argument from me. The site needs people who are courteous and make an effort.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

This guy Pinko really bitched at me and even wrote up the Black Hawk Down page with dick jokes

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Banned

Am I the only one who finds it strange that a site admin would complain about this to the forums instead of wielding his authority as a site admin to institute an effective system to deal with this?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Like what? Prevent non Americans from bitching? If you've got ideas on how to make these guys less of assholes, do tell.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Am I the only one who finds it strange that a site admin would complain about this to the forums instead of wielding his authority as a site admin to institute an effective system to deal with this?
Nope POI, you're the only one!

And what effective system do you suggest? These imbeciles sign up, wreak havoc and we end up banning them.

What's worse (other than the dudes who pipe in that there is an "easy fix" but never bother to tell anyone what it is) is the guys who don't technically violate any rules. They make minor mistakes, or create crappy pages, but they never cross the line to merit punitive action.

Kinda like the neighbor who plays his stereo loudly but only for a few minutes each night. Enough to annoy everyone in the neighborhood, but not long enough to merit calling the police on a noise ordinance complaint.

Hmmmm, someone who annoys everyone, but doesn't do anything to merit administrative action. Sounds kinda like you POI LOL
Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Like what? Prevent non Americans from bitching? If you've got ideas on how to make these guys less of assholes, do tell.
Didn't you know? PersonOfInterest has the anti-asshole ray! We just have to use it on these foreign IMFDB users. LOL!

But seriously, I wonder what SOLUTION POI has, other than to bitch that us Mods don't 'do anything about the jerkweeds'.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Didn't you know? PersonOfInterest has the anti-asshole ray! We just have to use it on these foreign IMFDB users. LOL!

But seriously, I wonder what SOLUTION POI has, other than to bitch that us Mods don't 'do anything about the jerkweeds'.
An anti-asshole ray? Wouldn't it turn on him if he tried to use it?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 AM

Universal truth: Foreigners are dicks. Except Canadians

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Nope POI, you're the only one!

And what effective system do you suggest? These imbeciles sign up, wreak havoc and we end up banning them.

What's worse (other than the dudes who pipe in that there is an "easy fix" but never bother to tell anyone what it is) is the guys who don't technically violate any rules. They make minor mistakes, or create crappy pages, but they never cross the line to merit punitive action.

Kinda like the neighbor who plays his stereo loudly but only for a few minutes each night. Enough to annoy everyone in the neighborhood, but not long enough to merit calling the police on a noise ordinance complaint.

Hmmmm, someone who annoys everyone, but doesn't do anything to merit administrative action. Sounds kinda like you POI LOL
I post the same thing in every thread you've posted about this problem. So here it is again, plain and simple as can be. Close registration. Only allow people to register by request. Require them to create something decent in a sandbox and submit it for admin/mod approval. If it gets the go ahead, they are free to join and make edits/create pages/be useful/etc.
Closed Thread