imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default People who don't know guns

I remember coming across people who would mistake what a gun is they see in a magazine or in a movie, but to people who knows guns, you get that "How can you not tell?" feeling every time it happens.

Example, when I over heard a chat between 2 of my classmates while I was selling books. Some magazine they were reading and they mention AK47. Obviously since it was loud enough for me to hear, I had to look over and plainly see the page of a hot chick wearing a bikini and clutching an M4A1. I corrected them on the spot. It was an instinct thing.

One of the worse incidents with me was when me and my friend watched the 2005 King Kong remake and because he played the first couple Call of Duty games too much, he actually thought the Tommies with their 50 round drums were actually PPsh-41s, the SMG of the Russians during WWII. I kept telling him no, but my pal was kinda stubborn to be corrected by me.

I also remember a scene from the TV show Flashpoint, the episode in the hospital, the dialogue was realistic in terms of how an average gangbanger isn't gun knowledgable when he said that the police had AKs when they really have MP5s.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM

My brother thinks that a .22 Ruger pistol and the Luger P08 are the exact same gun, and that the FN SCAR is called the "scare"

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 PM

one of my dumbass friends think a 1911 is a *sigh* desert eagle
any shot gun is a double barrel (he is a big dumbass, we were at the naval academy in annapolis and some midshipmen was walking around with a remington 870 and she called it a ''double barrel pump shotgun'' and the stubborn ass he is wouldn't drop it and realise the fact that that is impossible. even though i proved him wrong)
and that an m4 (or variant) and a m16/ar-15 (or variant) is an ''m40''

god help us all
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Someone I knew from the Marines doesn't know what I was talking about when I said "Desert Eagle". She might know the gun if she sees it, but I guess she doesn't know the name.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM

I wouldnt expect a person to know all guns since there a marine. When will they be exposed to a deeg besides video games?

I know one nationa guard soldier who doesnt know what a m9 is though, and one cop who doesnt know what 5.56 mm is and he has a bushmaster in the patrolcar........makes you wonder.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 PM

the thing that pissed me off though was the fact that 1.) the shotgun had one barrel. ONE FUCKING BARREL! and my friend insisted it was a pump-double-barrel. 2.) i showed him a picture of a remington 870 then compared it to the photo i took of her shotgun. 3.) the fact that i actually went through all the trouble to prove to a stubborn dumbass the diference between something he will never need to know
Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 PM

Don't forget about the Magnum Research 1911.
That mistake is going to get a lot more common.
Uuuuggghhhh.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I wouldnt expect a person to know all guns since there a marine. When will they be exposed to a deeg besides video games?

I know one nationa guard soldier who doesnt know what a m9 is though, and one cop who doesnt know what 5.56 mm is and he has a bushmaster in the patrolcar........makes you wonder.
Ok, that's kinda stupid. A National Gaurdsman in my class, when I asked him does the Guard have M16A4s, he knows a lot about that and saids he was issued M4s and an M9.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 AM

Well, the question becomes, so what? Some people aren't into guns and don't know them. I don't know or care much about cars beyond what I have to do my job and drive mine at home. My ex girlfriend was a race car driver and used to laugh because I didn't know the difference between a sprint car and a formula car.

Hell, my Seargent over here is a former armorer and doesn't know shit about guns beyond what the army taught him. I mentionned I bought a Spanish-American War Krag and he asked me what a warkrag was.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yeah, I don't think it's that big a deal if people who aren't big into guns make mistakes. It's not their hobby, so who gives a damn? Just because somebody's a soldier, a cop, or whatever doesn't mean they have to like guns, either.

What I DO find annoying is when I meet airsofters or "CoD" players who aren't even old enough to buy guns, but nonetheless think that talking about and reading about guns on the 'Net makes them gun experts. Like all the people who insist that "M16s suck, AKs are the best", simply because they read it somewhere. Or the people who (and I'm one of them) think H&K makes the best guns ever, and then just as quickly turned against them when Larry Correia wrote his famous "HK. Beacuse you suck" blog.

Actually, I think I've become mostly just tired of people in general who feel the need to complain about how much a particular gun/brand sucks, or rocks, or whatever. Like the Desert Eagle, which has become the whipping boy for Internet gun users. I mean, I know that the Desert Eagle isn't a practical weapon and that it's over-priced, but do we really need 100 topics about how much it sucks, and how much people who own them suck? If you don't like the Desert Eagle, don't buy one. You aren't some expert just because you can piss on a weapon that thousands of people already piss on, daily.

I wish people would just take Larry's advice that you shouldn't let the Internet influence your opinions about weapons you've never even shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
one of my dumbass friends think a 1911 is a *sigh* desert eagle
I once corrected a page done by an IMFDB member who thought the opposite - that a Desert Eagle (appearing in a TV show episode) was a 1911, because he was big into WWII weapons but knew little about modern weapons. I remember thinking at the time that it was kinda strange because I had figured everyone who ever saw "The Matrix" knew what a Desert Eagle was. But nonetheless, I corrected the page, so whatever. Some people really just aren't familiar with particular eras of weapons. Who cares?

Last edited by MT2008; 04-01-2010 at 03:01 PM.