imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Yes, trivia that is really minor should not be listed. In many times, the armorers or production could NOT GET the weapon as listed in the film .... and the director shot it as scripted ANYWAY. That is a mistake and not something we need to harp on.
On the dvd commentary they explained that the guns got stuck in customs so they had to find a substitute, which is the reason why it changes to the more correct 92FS later in the film.

Last edited by predator20; 01-25-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
On the dvd commentary they explained that the guns got stuck in customs so they had to find a substitute, which is the reason why it changes to the more correct 92FS later in the film.
Great Britain SUCKS!!!! I knew one of the guys who was shipping the M60 machine guns to the UK for FULL METAL JACKET and it took MONTHS/YEARS for those Brit Customs idiots to clear shipment of all sorts of weapons for Stanley Kubrick's movie. I mean it's STANLEY KUBRICK! It's not like he is an UNKNOWN DIRECTOR!!!!!!!! If there are any weapons mistakes in Full Metal Jacket, you can point the finger directly at the gun control edicts of the UK's Customs division.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Great Britain SUCKS!!!! I knew one of the guys who was shipping the M60 machine guns to the UK for FULL METAL JACKET and it took MONTHS/YEARS for those Brit Customs idiots to clear shipment of all sorts of weapons for Stanley Kubrick's movie. I mean it's STANLEY KUBRICK! It's not like he is an UNKNOWN DIRECTOR!!!!!!!! If there are any weapons mistakes in Full Metal Jacket, you can point the finger directly at the gun control edicts of the UK's Customs division.
If think you're ignoring the obvious here: why film a movie set in South Carolina and Vietnam that has no British characters or actors in Great Britain? The tax breaks couldn't have been that great.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 AM

I'm pretty sure Kubrick refused to leave the country for the later part of his life.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
If think you're ignoring the obvious here: why film a movie set in South Carolina and Vietnam that has no British characters or actors in Great Britain? The tax breaks couldn't have been that great.
No, you're missing the OBVIOUS ....hahahah The reason why they filmed in England is because the ONLY surviving derelict buildings left in the entire world that was designed and built by the same French Architect who actually designed the original HUE City in Vietnam was ... you guess it ... in Beckton section of London! That's why the Hue battles looked so correct, the buildings and streets were nearly identical to what Hue looked like in 1969. That's why they bothered to ship in live Palm trees and planted them in the cold and freezing English countryside (the palm trees quickly died, and can be seen near dead in the film ...) .

Though filming in ENGLAND for the entire film sounds stupid, knowing that they already had a derelict 'city' that looked just like Hue already built is a compelling reason to do so.

That and also Kubrik received death threats in the U.S. because of the explicit nature of "A Clockwork Orange" so he kinda said "Fuck off" to the rest of the world and (as was pointed out earlier) he never left the UK until he died.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Statement, not a question

Just a suggestion: do you think it would look better to pose the trivia parts as a statement instead of a question?

Instead of:

Did you know? ...the first appearance of the [[Desert Eagle]] in a Hollywood film was in ''[[Year of the Dragon]]''?

It would say:

''[[Year of the Dragon]]'' was the first Hollywood film to feature the [[Desert Eagle]].

The latter would save you from having to post every trivia bit as a question and having it start with "...that". If we decide to go this way, I'd be happy to help change it.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
Just a suggestion: do you think it would look better to pose the trivia parts as a statement instead of a question?

Instead of:

Did you know? ...the first appearance of the [[Desert Eagle]] in a Hollywood film was in ''[[Year of the Dragon]]''?

It would say:

''[[Year of the Dragon]]'' was the first Hollywood film to feature the [[Desert Eagle]].

The latter would save you from having to post every trivia bit as a question and having it start with "...that". If we decide to go this way, I'd be happy to help change it.
I like the latter.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
You should see them when dominion colonials remind them how we saved theirs asses numerous times.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Latter actually does sound better.
The "Did you know.... blah" part has some ring to it, but I don't think it's necessary. Just too bloated.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 AM

You're right. Bens suggestion has my vote.
A kid in green tights broke into my house and smashed all my shit with a sword. Fuck video games.