imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

MPM2008 have you ever seen (or prevented) people on a set from doing something real stupid with blank loaded firearms ala the infamous 1984 Jon-Erik Hexum inccident with the blank loaded 44 magnum?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
MPM2008 have you ever seen (or prevented) people on a set from doing something real stupid with blank loaded firearms ala the infamous 1984 Jon-Erik Hexum inccident with the blank loaded 44 magnum?
We all have. One of my assistants stopped a director from telling an actor to shoot a Beretta 92FS at the back of a 'bad guys' head. I mean full powered full flash blanks a distance of THREE INCHES from the back of the other actor's skull. He forced them to use that 'forced perspective' camera trick (like they did in Beverly Hills Cop). You pull the camera WAY BACK and ZOOM IN so the guy firing can be pretty far away from the guy reacting and it looks like he shot the guy right in the head. It's a camera trick regarding angles and compression of the image with a long lens. Another armorer who I sub hired for a project, YANKED a H&K USP from an actor who was really unsafe with it. He actually fired too close to the face of another actor who was working with him (accidentally) during a firefight scene. They had rehearsed their blocking on that scene over and over again, but when it came to filming, adrenaline kicked in and the guy forgot everything he was told. Good thing ALL the actors had sunglasses on because the other guy had unburnt powder and crap peppering his face. The "junior" armorer (technically he was working for me) yanked the guy's live gun and said "You're an idiot. You get a RUBBER GUN from now on". The actor complained loudly and the Asst. Director came up to me and I said "Don't ask me. I back up my armorer 100%" The director was so pissed that he almost FIRED that actor from the set. But they just continued shooting, and that actor had a RUBBER pistol the rest of the entire movie.....

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 01-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Whew. I have to admit that back in my Army days I "played" with the blanks that we used in our M-16's.

I and my fellow soldiers would unscrew the blank adapters from our barrels then shoot cleaning rods out of the barrels by firing the blanks. We didn't shoot at each other, but I did see cleaning rods driven into tree trunks.

Young soldiers can be dangerous if left unattended. I also recall playing with artillery simulators.

It was many many years ago and I like to think that I'm smarter now. But blanks aren't toys that's for sure.

Now I shudder when I think about the damage that we probably did to the barrels as well with those cleaning rods.

I look at my teenage kids and find myself hoping that they are smarter than I was.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:

I look at my teenage kids and find myself hoping that they are smarter than I was.
Then be a smart parent and teach them to be smarter

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Whew. I have to admit that back in my Army days I "played" with the blanks that we used in our M-16's.

I remember a time when my dad was talking about his time in the british military and how two guys in a WWII concrete machinegun nest were killed when a grenade simulator was tossed in with them. the duo had closed the door in back and the only opening was the machinegun slit. cuncussion killed them.

Then I have some of the details of all the industrial accidents dad investigated. Suprisingly few of them involved explosives.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 AM

This is gonna sound somewhat off topic, but I couldn't read one of the newer Stephen King novels for that reason.
I got about 20 pages in, and the main character was horrifically mauled in an industrial accident. I was like: not for me. And stopped reading.

On topic: young people maybe should be introduced to firearms safety at a young age. I know lots of people will never grow up to use firearms regularly(if at all), but I just see no better way to learn respect for firearms(real, blank firing, even replicas) than having your parents instill that respect from an early age.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Then be a smart parent and teach them to be smarter
Really? Glad you are here to state the obvious.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
This is gonna sound somewhat off topic, but I couldn't read one of the newer Stephen King novels for that reason.
I got about 20 pages in, and the main character was horrifically mauled in an industrial accident. I was like: not for me. And stopped reading.

On topic: young people maybe should be introduced to firearms safety at a young age. I know lots of people will never grow up to use firearms regularly(if at all), but I just see no better way to learn respect for firearms(real, blank firing, even replicas) than having your parents instill that respect from an early age.
Couldn't agree more. However it is also true that people will still do stupid things (at times) regardless of their upbringing. Whether it's due to peer pressure, alcohol or just a momentary lapse in reason. Eventually as a parent one just has to cross one's fingers and pray that their teaching sticks.

My father gave me a strong sense of firearm safety and I wasn't encouraged to be reckless. And yet I still did engage in stupid behavior. And I knew at the time it was risky.

Fortunately I was lucky and I got a grip on myself and stopped after a short while.

None of us are perfect and I'm very skeptical of those who claim to be perfect.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
That book was pretty boring. It drags on forever and then there are zombies, which a supporting character caps with a Desert Eagle (which doesn't work) and then the main character kills them with some silver object. The evil monster is imprisoned, The End.

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 AM

Ok
I just finished a show and yesterday was a check in the box for my bucket list.
I finished doing a shoot out in a strip club, man some big guns were there.
All 30 ladies ended up hanging out by my station lol.

Someone had asked what's BG, that would be Background Performer, some people call them walking props, cattle, zombies or breathing set dressing,
IMO not a fan of any terms used.

Here's a dumb move made by an actor 3 years ago.

We had been doing a lot of shooting with actor dick toucher for about 2 weeks.
On this day, we set up to do a close up with DT firing his pistol.
Single action army revolver loaded with full black powder, rehearsed a few times, did 2 takes and getting ready to do the third.
Here is what saved him from having a valley in his head, the director asked for the gun to be cocked, I suggested we leave the hammer forward and let him cock it for the dramatic effect, the director agreed.
Speed was called, camera's rolling and just before the director yelled action, the actor had a hair issue and used the barrel to move his hair which was covering his eyes!
Yes he had the pointy end smack in the middle of his head with finger on the trigger, I know that if he pulled the trigger nothing would happen but that was not the point,
so….
I said "eh" and walked into frame, now remember the sound is speeding and three camera's rolling, I just went good old fashion Sgt and ripped him a new shiny asshole, I started on one side and worked over to the other side, every profane word that I knew came out, I leaned into his personal space like a recruit and went ape shit.
I walked out of frame and without missing a beat the director yelled action, buddy fired and the director yelled cut, I walked over and ripped the gun out of his hand.
That was it for him doing gun fire for the whole show, 100 plus crew just stood there gob smacked.
The 1st AD wanted me to apologize!
My reply to the AD, whats the next set up?
After that, the cast would suck pine cones thru a crazy straw if I asked them to do it.