imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
They must have just bought the airsoft stuff they though looked cool.
Isn't Sucker Punch set in the fifties?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM

And imaginationland, sad thing is it looks like those girls have way better gun handling than most tv actors.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Yes. They think "Oh Cop, he MUST be a gun expert". As others here (exemplary professionals like PhoenixEnt or Gunguy001) can attest to , we set them straight pretty quickly.

In fact right now, I am providing some M16A2 barreled uppers to a police department (to use on their own lower receivers) and sell them full flash blanks for some sort of training video. They can't figure out why their weak Milspec 5.56mm blanks don't appear in bright sunlight or why the blanks don't cycle the actions.......
Very true. I'm a Rangemaster with my department. I'm here to tell you that many officers don't know much about firearms. That isn't to say they're bad shots or inept. Many of them are athletic and pick up the skill fairly quickly. In more than a few cases I'e seen new officers surpass me in fairly short order. But that doesn't make them very knowledgable about firearms or how to instruct people in their use.

Ever notice how some of the best coaches in various sports were just average when they were playing the sport? It's rarer for naturals to be good teachers. Because it comes naturally to them.

I am not a natural athlete and my skill and knowledge has developed over many years. I understand this and have also learned to seek info from folks who know their respective business. For example MPM 2008.

I've seen the same thing with guys in the elite military units (SEALS, SF ect). Very good with what they use and excellent athletes, but that doesn't necessarily make them gun buffs.

Last edited by Jcordell; 01-25-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:19 AM

Grab your popcorn…..

A director wanted a M4 with full flash to shoot at the back of the head of the lead actor from 3 ft.

Did a show in Morocco and had 250 guys shooting all over the place,
we had concerns of ND's (negligent discharge) with the BG.
We had ND's courteous of the stunt department, the best one was a PKM went off inside a pickup truck with 6 stunt guys.

When we deploy the .50's, people think it's as loud as a 9mm.
When it goes off I get all giddy like a little school girl and watch their reactions.
After firing people coming running up to me all orgasmic like and tell me how that was amazing.

People who complain that the guns are loud and that we should use a more quite one, usually hair and make up types.

As a stunt performer, I was playing a soldier and had to dump 4 mags out of the M4 on the move with a whole lot of pyro going off around me, make a transition to a pistol and do 2 mag changes, also I had cast running around me like cats who just sat on a pack of alcohol wipes.
The director thought I looked nothing like the movies he mentioned and instructed me what I should do, the stunt co ordinator jumped in and pulled the director aside and told him that I was a 20 yr vet and a film armorer.

I have more but I'm tired….
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Tell us when it comes out, some things are stupid enough to bother watching...

As to a cop automatically being able to be a gun expert....I saw a news photo of a NYPD officer strolling around with his finger wrapped around the trigger of his ar-15.
Seriously just because someone has a background in a certain career that handled guns doesn't mean they are experts. The Marines I knew that are back in the states had to learn on their own time about guns that obviously weren't covered in Boot just to know general facts and then I had to fill in the blanks about movie guns when they ask me.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Seriously just because someone has a background in a certain career that handled guns doesn't mean they are experts. The Marines I knew that are back in the states had to learn on their own time about guns that obviously weren't covered in Boot just to know general facts and then I had to fill in the blanks about movie guns when they ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy001 View Post
Grab your popcorn…..

A director wanted a M4 with full flash to shoot at the back of the head of the lead actor from 3 ft.

Did a show in Morocco and had 250 guys shooting all over the place,
we had concerns of ND's (negligent discharge) with the BG.
We had ND's courteous of the stunt department, the best one was a PKM went off inside a pickup truck with 6 stunt guys.

When we deploy the .50's, people think it's as loud as a 9mm.
When it goes off I get all giddy like a little school girl and watch their reactions.
After firing people coming running up to me all orgasmic like and tell me how that was amazing.

People who complain that the guns are loud and that we should use a more quite one, usually hair and make up types.

As a stunt performer, I was playing a soldier and had to dump 4 mags out of the M4 on the move with a whole lot of pyro going off around me, make a transition to a pistol and do 2 mag changes, also I had cast running around me like cats who just sat on a pack of alcohol wipes.
The director thought I looked nothing like the movies he mentioned and instructed me what I should do, the stunt co ordinator jumped in and pulled the director aside and told him that I was a 20 yr vet and a film armorer.

I'd love to hear more stories

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 AM

Only if you share Excalibur.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Only if you share Excalibur.
I'm not a "gun guy". I'm just a guy that happens to "know guns"

Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Grab your popcorn…..

Did the director tell you what you were doing "wrong". Or what did he tell you that you should do to make it "right"? I guess he was used to actors playing like they knew what they were doing.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Did the director tell you what you were doing "wrong". Or what did he tell you that you should do to make it "right"? I guess he was used to actors playing like they knew what they were doing.
Well there's directors that wants that actors to be realistic and utilize their countless hours of training and then there are directors that wants the actors to be "realistic"