imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 09-15-2010, 02:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Naming Armorers and company

Would it be a good idea to track down who was the armorer for every movie and the armorer company name and just put them at the top of the page?

Like for Heat, we'd just put at the top that "All the weapons were supplied by *insert armorer's name or company*"

I think it might help make the page more professional by including names like that though it might be hard to track down every armorer's name and company name since there are so many.

Just a thought that occurred to me. We're listing actors and what movies they've been in and what guns they've used, so what about armorers?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 AM
Banned

Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 AM

I don't know if that's something necessary to include at the top of the page, being that personally I think that the average viewer won't care. I think it's something to be included in the bottom of the page.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think that sounds like a good idea. But as Astra said, the bottom of the page would be fine. Since we would taking the time to list them. Would they have their own pages as well? Like Al (gunguy) already has a page because of some acting. But would also list him under Category:Armorer. The thing about listing the weapons house there could be several of them that supplied guns for the film. They may not even be listed on credits which kind of sucks. Sometimes an armorer is not listed would we go by the property master who is in charge of everything not just weapons?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I don't think it's necessarily a problem to point out that a certain gun came from a certain armory if we're sure it's true (i.e. I know that those "Timecop" guns that have been on all of the "Stargate" shows came from one particular armory.)

But crediting a specific armorer or armory for the guns poses a bunch of problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I think that sounds like a good idea. But as Astra said, the bottom of the page would be fine. Since we would taking the time to list them. Would they have their own pages as well? Like Al (gunguy) already has a page because of some acting. But would also list him under Category:Armorer. The thing about listing the weapons house there could be several of them that supplied guns for the film. They may not even be listed on credits which kind of sucks. Sometimes an armorer is not listed would we go by the property master who is in charge of everything not just weapons?
This is a big problem. On a big show where there's a lot of weapons, the guns usually don't come from just ONE armory. As armorers on here have told us, they rent to each other all the time, either because somebody has a weapon that they don't have, or because they're short on a particular type of weapon needed for a show. In general, the more guns you see on screen, the more likely it is that those weapons came from more than one place.

The same applies to armorers themselves. Any particular armorer (handler or gunsmith) is rarely a permanent part of the crew. That is why they frequently go uncredited - sometimes, you may have a show where all of the scenes with guns are filmed in a 1-week period (out of a 6-week shoot), and the armorer is only on-set for that period of time. Or, on shows where there are lots of guns being used for the entirety of filming, it's common for a particular armorer to be there for only part of the time. Sometimes, you have a show where 10 different armorers were on-set for different parts of the shoot, and only 1 or 2 (or none) receive credits.

Long story short, it wouldn't be worthwhile because unless we have all of the rental records (which we won't), we cannot assume that the armorer credited on IMDB is the only guy who handled the guns on-set, or that the guns came from only one particular armory.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also, creating an armorer page would have the exact same problem. Any of the armorers on here will tell you that their IMDB credits list is FAR from complete. Many of them are used to going uncredited for movies where they handled guns, or (in the case of gunsmiths like Steve) built guns.

I've talked to one armorer who has been in the business for longer than I've been alive and has worked on hundreds of movies, and his IMDB profile has him down for exactly two of them.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

I think it would be very difficult to information on armorers for films especially if they do not credit in the film or listed in IMDB. I know several armorers that have never setup or updated their IMDB. Also if the show is filming in several countries than they could have several groups of armorers.

The one thing that would be cool would be an armory page that has only armories from the past with some pages on the evolution of motion picture blanks.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
Also if the show is filming in several countries than they could have several groups of armorers.
Yep, another issue I forgot about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
The one thing that would be cool would be an armory page that has only armories from the past with some pages on the evolution of motion picture blanks.
That would be interesting, and it's a thought I've had myself. I would love to see a page that talks about the history of Stembridge, Ellis, etc. and how the business has changed. Only thing is, if we're gonna do a page like that, it's gotta be done by the armorers themselves (since most of us on IMFDB are outsiders).
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Good idea, but like MT2008 pointed out there are many details to be worked out. We need to pull in more of the people involved in the business.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM

As long as it gets me free drinks and hotties asking for my autograph I'm all in!