imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:58 AM

Maybe we should make sure new members actually speak english. Is there any way to do this that isn't difficult/inconvenient?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-24-2010, 06:00 AM

We have openly declaired this to be an American English speaking site. It seems that people just don't get the message. Oh well It's stated in the rules and they should have read them.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
We have openly declaired this to be an American English speaking site. It seems that people just don't get the message. Oh well It's stated in the rules and they should have read them.
Interesting, you didn't hear the complaints from the Russians that we were being "Nazis" for not allowing long discussion written in CYRILLIC on imfdb. One of them actually argued with us, proclaiming that there have been 'no spammers writing in Cyrillic on the site' and that we're being unreasonable for wanting all the messages in a language most of us can actually understand.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Another thing I'd like to add. Do we really need this website open to anybody and everybody? It seems new releases are dealt with fairly quickly, all the great gun movies have been done already, and all that's left are foreign films and non-action movies with one or two incidental appearances of firearms. (Like a scene with police officers or a hunting rifle on a wall.) Yes we need foreigners if we want to be thorough with foreign films. But unless somebody can really wow us with a sudden influx of 80 million complete screencapped captioned bollywood action film pages, there really is no benefit to allowing 60 trolls in for every one dude from Pakistan or Guatemala who pops in to add a single photo and leave.

If this sounds like too much work, just increase the number of admins. I nominate...everyone on this board who is a senior member and is not me.
To put it bluntly...No, no, and HELL no. This isn't just a web site; it is a Wiki. The entire idea of Wikis is that they're intended to be open to as many people as possible, in order to take advantage of the collective knowledge of everyone online who cares about the topic.

Also, just because we've had a few problems with "foreigners" lately does not mean that we're going to block them all out. You are encouraging a ridiculous (dare I say retarded) over-reaction to a minor problem, which would only introduce a host of new problems for those of us who are Admins. And as for increasing the number of Admins; in order to become an Admin, a person has to have contributed a substantial body of work (all matching our quality criteria) before they can be nominated.

We don't need to start implementing Soviet-style bureaucratic control every time we have a couple users who give us problems. And personally, I'd prefer that people stop suggesting this kind of shit whenever we do.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
The entire idea of Wikis is that they're intended to be open to as many people as possible, in order to take advantage of the collective knowledge of everyone online who cares about the topic.
Being open to everybody doesn't work too well. It's made wikipedia into a mishmash clusterfuck of unreliable information, which is why they're starting to crack down on their users. Blocking ip addresses linked to Scientologists, deleting the massive catalog of homemade nude photos, policing edits of religious fanatics to the point that those people ran away and made their own wiki in some dark exiled corner of the internet, not exactly things that are in the spirit of being free and open, but necessary to ensure the integrity and reliability of the site.

Also, imfdb is a much smaller site, with a very specific focus. It's simply not necessary to have the website open to every single person on the planet. My idea might even reduce the workload of the admins. If the application process is automated in some way to screen out obviously poor applications, the number that are actually viewed by human beings would be minimal. Additionally, with a better ratio of good contributors, there would be a reduced amount of poor or malicious submissions.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
and let it be known that your first contribution needs to be a near complete screencapped and captioned page.
I have to disagree with this suggestion. If it was a rule in place when I registered, I wouldn't be here.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-24-2010, 05:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
To put it bluntly...No, no, and HELL no. This isn't just a web site; it is a Wiki. The entire idea of Wikis is that they're intended to be open to as many people as possible, in order to take advantage of the collective knowledge of everyone online who cares about the topic.

Also, just because we've had a few problems with "foreigners" lately does not mean that we're going to block them all out. You are encouraging a ridiculous (dare I say retarded) over-reaction to a minor problem, which would only introduce a host of new problems for those of us who are Admins. And as for increasing the number of Admins; in order to become an Admin, a person has to have contributed a substantial body of work (all matching our quality criteria) before they can be nominated.

We don't need to start implementing Soviet-style bureaucratic control every time we have a couple users who give us problems. And personally, I'd prefer that people stop suggesting this kind of shit whenever we do.
Also remember ..... pretty much only PersonOfInterest is the only one who keeps on bringing this up. Apparently he thinks that we are some sort of leviathan website with tons of paid staff with the manhours to institute draconian rules and punishments. Be aware of where the 'idea' comes from
Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Well I wish my wife thought I had the biggest d...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Hey I have Canadian relatives...Trust me when I say that Canadians can be the biggest Dicks on the face of the Earth....Then Again they are FRENCH Canadians.

Well it says something about that branch of the family when it is sugested that someplace way back in the roots of the family tree some Squaw was feeling especially cold and snuggled up to a frenchman. The majority of the family reacts in absolute horror. Sort of makes me glad I'm dateing a native american woman right now.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy001 View Post
Well I wish my wife thought I had the biggest d...
You wish you had French Canadians in your pants?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM

French Canadian strippers………hell ya!

females of course.
Closed Thread