imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well in most movies that have guns, they rarely actually say the name of the guns or what kind of ammo they use. And it would take away the mood when someone just go on talking about his Glock 17 9mm.

I mean, I was in my Corrections class with SERT speakers. They were all wearing Glock 17s, but they refer to them as Glock 9mm. So most cops wouldn't actually call their guns by their full name, like my local police all uses Sig P229s, but the call them Sig 9mm or just SIGs. But of course I have never heard anyone in a police or military profession that call a mag a clip.

Unless knowing guns is your thing, you wouldn't care less.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
IMFDB Admin

I don't have issues with 'average folks' not knowing guns, except when they act like they really know what they are talking about and they don't. LOL. Like others have said, I don't know SQUAT about cars. I have friends who are shocked that I don't know the visual differences between a 1956 Chevy and a 1952.

BTW: regarding Anachronisms in movies .... I always argue, that anachronistic cars in movies is more forgivable because pristine condition historical cars are WAY harder and more expensive to get than the correct firearm. It's like getting the correct civilian aircraft for the background of an airport. As long as it's close, I don't care, not being a civilian aviation buff.

What I DO get really mad at are (a) folks who spout off about stuff for the purposes of journalism or political purposes. To an antigun activist, Every 9mm handgun ... is an 'Uzi", Every Rifle is an "AK-47", Every shotgun is a "Street Sweeper" ... whether it is or not. (b) what's more inexcusable is the police who talk to the news media and mis-identify guns. I can't count how many times a straight stocked SKS rifle in the closet of some low level punk is splashed all over the headlines as a 'fully automatic AK-47', an erroneous description provided by the police of all people.

Considering that I haven't seen a real Uzi (aka Uzi Carbine usually cut down or an Uzi Pistol) used by a drug dealer or gang banger since the 1980s, and yet according to the little old ladies down at City Hall, everyone packs an Uzi. I sometimes challenge these people and say "Hey, do you even know what an Uzi looks like?" I have never seen an Uzi in any of the police photos of confiscated guns from Gang members in California. Not for 25 years! Ever since the import ban of the 1980s, they lost their' mystique' with the bad boys crowd. Also (despite some U.S. made knockoffs) they're hard to find and original pre-import ban guns are expensive.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
What I DO get really mad at are (a) folks who spout off about stuff for the purposes of journalism or political purposes. To an antigun activist, Every 9mm handgun ... is an 'Uzi", Every Rifle is an "AK-47", Every shotgun is a "Street Sweeper" ... whether it is or not. (b) what's more inexcusable is the police who talk to the news media and mis-identify guns. I can't count how many times a straight stocked SKS rifle in the closet of some low level punk is splashed all over the headlines as a 'fully automatic AK-47', an erroneous description provided by the police of all people.

Considering that I haven't seen a real Uzi (aka Uzi Carbine usually cut down or an Uzi Pistol) used by a drug dealer or gang banger since the 1980s, and yet according to the little old ladies down at City Hall, everyone packs an Uzi. I sometimes challenge these people and say "Hey, do you even know what an Uzi looks like?" I have never seen an Uzi in any of the police photos of confiscated guns from Gang members in California. Not for 25 years! Ever since the import ban of the 1980s, they lost their' mystique' with the bad boys crowd. Also (despite some U.S. made knockoffs) they're hard to find and original pre-import ban guns are expensive.
I have the perfect example of this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg journalist.JPG (57.7 KB, 51 views)

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM

haha, i almost pissed myself from laughing.
that's awesome
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
haha, i almost pissed myself from laughing.
that's awesome
I got the pic from some image thread on the Arthur's Hall forums ( a forum that I strongly recommend)

Old 04-02-2010, 03:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Love it!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm saving that to my computer.

Back on topic, I think it's because I started to become a lot more aware and knowledgeable about firearms, that I would instinctly correct someone who mis ID a gun. It's like someone who knows a lot about cars correct people who don't know engines.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
epic

milk went flying out of my nose LMAO

gonna blow that up and use it at a anti gun march.

Last edited by gunguy001; 04-08-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy001 View Post
epic

milk went flying out of my nose LMAO

gonna blow that up and use it at a anti gun march.
I'm not going to be very happy with you if you go ahead and do that without asking my permission to use the image. I demand $1,000,000

Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I'm not going to be very happy with you if you go ahead and do that without asking my permission to use the image. I demand $1,000,000
Please, that picture is too cheap to be worth more than half a mil