imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I remember a test where they put 300 win mag on a heat plate and covered it by a box, and the rounds cooking off didnt pierce the box. The casing actually is more dangerous than the bullet that case, and only if it hits you in the eye while its hot. Youre right, one of the dumbest movie ideas eevr. never saw this one but my friend told me the whole thing is a joke
It didn't pieced the box because it has to follow Newton's Third Law.

When the bullet is not contain like inside a barrel, the gas will escape in all direction. This limit the bullet velocity. In other words it doesn't have the speed to do any meaning full penetration.

If you go to a rural outdoor gun range in the winter time they might have an oil drum full of trash that is burning. The duds are thrown into the open fire and you might be able the hear the pop if customers stop shooting.

Yes people warm themselves when the ammo goes off inside the drum.

Last edited by jdun; 05-02-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 AM

i was thinking about that. He's with three reservists so 9 mils are everywhere, but i know of a man who was Delta for a time (he now works at the JFK Center for Unconventional Warfare) and i always asked questions that he couldnt answer, but he did say that they always had their .45s.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM

A typical GI can carry any personnal sidearm they like (mostly 9mm or 45ACP) as long as they have permission from their CO. However the vast majority do not asks because the typical reply from their CO is "no".

You can't bring your personnel sidearms from the States to another country. You have to buy the firearm from the country you are stationed and that can be very expensive. You can't bring the sidearm back to the States so you have to sell it before moving back.

You standout from the rest of the troops if you carry a personal firearms. Which can translate to more people wanting to kill you.

Special Force more or less can use any weapons that they are certified.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
You standout from the rest of the troops if you carry a personal firearm. Which can translate to more people wanting to kill you.
Well on the plus side, you'll have a better gun to fight back.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM

I forgot to point this out.

Unless you're an Officer, the guy that is dragging the machinegun, MP, manning/operating vehicles (pilots, tankers, etc), SF, or isn't issued a rifle you won't be carrying a pistol.

Pistol are defensive weapons. In the military pistols are issue to personnel that needs a weapon to defend themselves. Machinegun like the SAW are heavy, hard to maneuver, and jam often. They are issue a pistol for personnel defense. Pistols are issues to pilots and tankers because there is no room to store the rifles in the vehicle.

Last edited by jdun; 05-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
bubble920

I have biten my tongue for two long and I don't know where Jdun is getting his information from.

"You can't bring your personnel sidearms from the States to another country. You have to buy the firearm from the country you are stationed and that can be very expensive. You can't bring the sidearm back to the States so you have to sell it before moving back."

That is a load of crap.

"You standout from the rest of the troops if you carry a personal firearms. Which can translate to more people wanting to kill you.
Special Force more or less can use any weapons that they are certified."

More crap.

"Unless you're an Officer, the guy that is dragging the machinegun, MP, manning/operating vehicles (pilots, tankers, etc), SF, or isn't issued a rifle you won't be carrying a pistol."

It all depends on what type of unit you are in and what the mission is.

"Pistol are defensive weapons. In the military pistols are issue to personnel that needs a weapon to defend themselves. Machinegun like the SAW are heavy, hard to maneuver, and jam often. They are issue a pistol for personnel defense. Pistols are issues to pilots and tankers because there is no room to store the rifles in the vehicle."

Again crap. Pistols in the military aren't just defensive. Many rear-echelon guys carry M16s in the supply trucks. Also pilots can be issued with SMGs and sometimes carbines not just pistols.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM

You can't bring a personal weapon back because it is a federal law. You have to imported it back to the state and that require a lot of work. You can't export firearms to another country unless you have permission. That's not going to happen.

You also are aware of General Order #1.

You do stand out if you carry a pistol. They will think you're an Officer. You stand out even more if you carry a pistol other then a M9.

Pistol are defensive weapon period. You don't go to war with a pistol. That's only works in the movie. Pistol are there to help you get to a rifle. Rifle are offensive weapons. You carry a pistol to defend yourself when your primary weapon is absent.

This isn't blackhawk down movie. Lets take Apache, Cobras, Fighters (F16, F22, etc), Armors, etc. Do you think that they have enough room to store a submachine gun? No they don't. They are issued pistols for survival.

I don't think the US Military use sub-machineguns anymore. I know NAVY SEALS member are not certified/trained (MP5) to use sub-machineguns.

Yes some rear-echelon are issued with pistol like military polices and guards but the majority don't that include front line troops.

Pistols are not high priorities in the military.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The US Marines do train everyone to us a pistol, but I don't think any of the non officers get to carry them, special forces get to have pistols as sidearms, backup weapons in the event their primary fails. Sub machine guns are assigned to rear behind the line troops, tank operators, supply convoys, those who aren't at the front. Helicopter pilots also have sub machine guns as well, at least compact ones like the MP5K.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 AM

Yes Army and Marines are certified to use pistols but it doesn't means they are issued with one. The majority don't.

The Mk 18 Mod. 0 and its variants more or less made sub-machine guns a thing of the past in the US military. I know for a fact that NAVY SEAL are not train to use sub-machineguns like the MP5 for sometime now. However, I'm sure there are elements in the US military that are train to use submachine-guns.

I do get a laugh when people thinks that pistol are offensive weapons. I mean movies do a good job at convincing people that pistol beat rifle 10 out of 10 times. If this were the case why carry a rifle when clearly in the movies a guy using a pistol killed 50 rifleman. Or the first chance the hero gets he ditch his rifle and go medieval with his pistol. Bring a pistol where everyone has rifles is like bring a knife to a gun fight in real life that is.

If you mean black hawk pilots. No they are not issue sub-machine guns like MP5 unless it's Special Operation but I doubt that too (probably Mk 18 variant by now). Normal Black Hawk pilots are issue with M9 pistol. Keep in mind the Somalia Operation (Black Hawk Down) were almost exclusively SPECOPS missions.

Ask A Soldier. Official Army Board.
https://forums.goarmy.com/forums/thr...5478&tstart=15

Last edited by jdun; 05-06-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 AM

I end up posting instead of editing my previous post. Sorry.

Last edited by jdun; 05-06-2009 at 09:36 AM.