imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-19-2009, 03:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Well, it's also a dumb quote because he's saying gay marriage is wrong. . I'm not gay myself but I know a few gay kids in my school who get a lot of shit their way, so I support gay marriage.

Like I said, I don't want to cause bad arguments here, so lets end it at that.

Last edited by Gunmaster45; 07-19-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
Didn't Starship Troopers hold the record for most blanks fired in a film?
How many rounds would that be? 300,000 rounds of all calibers according to an article.

I know how many 7.62x39 blank we fired on We Were Soldiers. We fired 250,000 rounds of just 7.62x39. I would say about 200,000 rounds of .223 and 60,000 rounds of 7.62 NATO. Not sure of the 9mm or 7.62x54R fired on the show. It is well over 500,000 rounds used up on one show.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Well, it's also a dumb quote because he's saying gay marriage is wrong. . I'm not gay myself but I know a few gay kids in my school who get a lot of shit their way, so I support gay marriage.

Like I said, I don't want to cause bad arguments here, so lets end it at that.
Well it's dumb in your opinion, not mine -I'm firmly against gay marriage even though I know some homosexuals. (though I am not going to go into why I'm against it because it could start an argument)
I think it would be good that no politics with the exception of Gun Control be discussed here.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Agreed, I'm already tempted to argue.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Didn't the Goven-ator sign a ban on .50 BMG rifles, not because they were used in crimes, but rather because they look "scary"?

David.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krel View Post
Didn't the Goven-ator sign a ban on .50 BMG rifles, not because they were used in crimes, but rather because they look "scary"?
I think it was more due to listening to idiots who think a .50 rifle can flip over a railway car. And the railway car might be full of NUCLEAR MATERIAL!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

I love how in Navy SEALs Bill Paxton uses a .50 cal and anything he shoots is either launched through the air or a big gaping hole is left in its place. They make the thing look like a super cannon.

I remember one person defended that you could shoot down planes with a .50 caliber and civilians shouldn't have that ability.

1)Who's fucking dumb and crazy enough to take shots at a plane? You didn't spend $2,000 on this single shot just to go to prison.
2)You try and hit a moving plane 100s to 1000s of feet in the air, moving from 200-500mph and see if you hit it. Most marksmen wouldn't be able to ever accomplish such a shot.

People who actually piss away enough money to buy a .50 cal are more than likely going to be responsible with it. And as we all know, the bastardous criminals aren't affected by such bans at all, and will continue to reek havac with such weapons ban or not.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM

It probably stems from most people not knowing the difference between a hard kill and a mission kill and therefore thinking .50 rifles are designed to blow up tanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

I love how people think that if you're shot with a .50 caliber weapon, you'll
a) blow up into pink mist
b) be sent airborne
c) sever a limb (thanks COD4)
d) be left with a pizza pie hole in your body

None of this is true. Sure, a .50 is a big bullet that does big damage, but the hole left in a body isn't much bigger than the projectile itself. Sure, you get shot in the head and your brain is as scrambled as eggs (I've unfortunately seen pictures and videos of such documentation, it's fucking disgusting), but it is grossly overestimated in power thanks to hollywood. It's a big bullet moving very fast, but it isn't a cannon round.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Quote:
I love how in Navy SEALs Bill Paxton uses a .50 cal and anything he shoots is either launched through the air or a big gaping hole is left in its place. They make the thing look like a super cannon.
It's that kind of movie. I sincerely doubt there are law makers sitting around saying "Did you see what that rifle did in navy seals? We have to ban it!"

Quote:
I remember one person defended that you could shoot down planes with a .50 caliber and civilians shouldn't have that ability.
In the right hands, I don't doubt this could happen.

Quote:
1)Who's fucking dumb and crazy enough to take shots at a plane? You didn't spend $2,000 on this single shot just to go to prison.
Anyone who tries and shoots down a plane didn't buy the rifle legally to begin with.

Quote:
2)You try and hit a moving plane 100s to 1000s of feet in the air, moving from 200-500mph and see if you hit it. Most marksmen wouldn't be able to ever accomplish such a shot.
take off, and landing on the other hand, could be done.

Quote:
People who actually piss away enough money to buy a .50 cal are more than likely going to be responsible with it. And as we all know, the bastardous criminals aren't affected by such bans at all, and will continue to reek havac with such weapons ban or not.
I think they are worried about stolen weapons, and black market weapons here, not Joe Regular Guy buying it from a gun store and deciding he must shoot down planes.

I've had my house broken into, and my gun safes removed from my home. It happens. It happened to my brother in law as well. I lost a very cherished rifle this way, and for all I know some gang banger in Miami is shooting at cops with it right now.

One of the reasons I left Florida is because of crime.

The Barret is a SERIOUS gun. It's not a super cannon, but it's not a BB gun either and I understand why people fear it. I've fired one, and it's quite fun to shoot, but even as a pro-gun person I thought about what would become of it if it was ever stolen from my friend's home.

BOY, are we ever off topic now.

Bruce Willis has to be an actor who's fired off quite a few rounds in his flicks.

Most rounds ever fired in a film, if we're just going for American films, Predator has the clearing of the jungle scene, and The Matrix has the lobby scene.

Last edited by ShootingJames; 07-21-2009 at 12:31 AM.