imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default My Father Is the Greatest Man Alive...

I come home from school today and he has my Mossberg Cruiser fixed. This alone made me happy until he asks "If I bought an AR-15, what type would you want?" Since he wasn't being specific like naming brand or model (I asked Colt, Bushmaster, he wouldn't say), I knew something was up. After I say I've always wanted a carbine like an M4 or Law Enforcement Carbine, he turns around and pops open a case containing a Bushmaster XM15 M4A3 carbine. My jaw is still on the floor now. He says he's going to buy it from this guy for a $1000 or so (so my mom will kill him ) but it comes with about 200 rounds of .223 ammo, a 30 round mag, a 20 and a 10 (although he has plenty of all, since he stocked up on pre-bans in the 80s back when they were IN), and is fitted with a special forend with a foregrip (but it still has the original grips as well). Also, it has a custom $300 trigger, which was great. The guy put about $2000 worth of upgrades into it, so it seems like a solid investment. Also, I can put blanks through it for my zombie movie .

I'll take pics if/when he buys it.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Bushmaster, a nice made-in maine product. Cant say im a fan of the cruiser (shotguns need stocks IMHO) but the AR? Lucky guy. I wish I could afford guns right now. Im still wondering what to get when I graduate Class A school and can afford something.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM

Nice, If he gets it, pick up some Magpul PMags. Best magazine for an AR in my opinion. I have a few USGI 30 rounders as well. They work well but they don't have the same quality as the Pmags and they are roughly the same price.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

I live in New York, so getting good mags like Magpull is kind of a waste, so I think the 30 rounders he has are fine. I don't think I'll be using them in combat so I don't have much to worry about.

I wanted a Mossberg Cruiser because my Remington 870 Wingmaster is too damn long and I wanted something short and easy to manuveur in tight spaces. Six shots doesn't hurt either. I still have to add a heatshield to it so it can be a true "cruiser" and I might add a laser sight, since you can't aim very well with the shotgun. I agree, a shotgun needs a stock, but folding stocks aren't allowed in NY, and that would be my first choice.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Oh.....sorry...forgot you live in a commie state. Yeah, i see the logic in that. My friend has a PGO 870 and my god that thing sucks with standard loads....i got through one tube and was done. For HD only i guess it does the trick.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM
IMFDB Admin

The trick is to push slightly when you shoot. It helps level the recoil so you don't wack your finger on the trigger guard.

I don't have any problem shooting pistol grip shotguns, in fact, sometimes I shoot it with one hand for shits and giggles.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 AM
IMFDB Admin

BTW, I believe Bushmaster naming their gun the M4A3 is why some people refer to Colt guns like that when talking about the M4/M4A1. As everyone should know, this is wrong.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 AM

Bushmaster is using the name "m4 type carbine" but most places label it the m4a3. Its like the only thing left on the shelves in the EBR department around here.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
BTW, I believe Bushmaster naming their gun the M4A3 is why some people refer to Colt guns like that when talking about the M4/M4A1. As everyone should know, this is wrong.
M4 and M4A1 is trademarked by Colt. No companies can use it without getting sue.

AR15 is trademarked by Armlite. No companies can use it without getting sue.

What you have instead is: XX15 or M4XX (without the A1)
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 AM

I'll give you some tips.

The AR15 like to run wet. Very wet. So lube it everywhere. You see the two holes on the side of the BCG. Spray oil into it. Spray oil into the charging handle. Spray oil everywhere.

I use grease but it's really messy. You might not like it but it works very well.

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

Get yourself Magpul anti-tilt (Enhanced) followers. This will improve your magazine performance.

http://www.imfdb.org/forum/newreply....quote=1&p=3174

You probably will not take combat carbine classes anytime soon. I suggest you buy Magpul DVD video or something similar to it. It teach you the fundamentals, which is the most important part in shooting.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpu...d%20dyn001.htm

Feel free to ask any AR15 questions. I have 6 complete lowers built. 4 uppers. Waiting for parts to arrive to built another two uppers. I also have tons of strip lowers.