imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Formerly "Michael Westen"

Question Berretta 84F Mod

What would it take to modify a Beretta 84F down to a more compact size like the Zoraki 914? Is it even possible or legal to get a new barrel slide and spring manufactured by a gun smith? Do extended magazines for the 84F even exist?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

I personally have little knowledge of gun laws in DC, but I don't believe that manufacturing and/or purchasing barrels, slides, and springs violates any law as they're not legally considered firearms. Otherwise it would be quite difficult for anyone to fix their guns!

That said, you want extended magazines but a more compact gun?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM

I don't think it's illegal to cut a handgun down. Cylinder and Slide make custom Hi-Powers with shorter slide assemblies, and you can buy an FM "Detective" slide assembly to fit onto a standard Hi-Power frame, so it doesn't seem explicitly illegal to do so. Expensive and time consuming? Probably. Why not just buy a smaller gun or deal with the size? The Beretta 84 is already a pretty small, lightweight gun given its firepower. Making it shorter seems a bit redundant. I guess it'd help with say, ankle carry, but it's not really a gun that would fit that even if shortened. One would be better off with a PPK or something, or just carrying the 84 like a regular gun in IWB/OWB/Shoulder or something.

But yes, it can be done and I'm sure it's legal. And +1 on wanting a shorter gun and also extended mags. That's a bit counterintuitive.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've held this gun and it's already plenty small as is unless you plan to put it down your pants pocket.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”