imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-18-2011, 04:08 PM

I want a original 1911a1 for collectability some day, something a little off brand, like ithaca or remington rand.

For duty, I love the modern novak wearing beavertail safety equipped long trigger flat back lowered and flared guns. I know a lot of people own 1911s for the nostalgia, but for me I just shoot the excellent triggers well. And grip fits like i was born with one in my hand. I wont buy a colt either, dont like their business practices and there guns cost way too much for what you get, ffanboys just hype them saying there the original, like that means anything. For the prices they charge a springfield or smith and wesson will have more features, tighter fit and more bang for your buck.

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 02-18-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I want a original 1911a1 for collectability some day, something a little off brand, like ithaca or remington rand.
Of course don't mention Colt in that. (I wouldn't mind an Ithaca.) I wish Colt would start back doing WWII reproductions, they did a few years ago I guess before they started doing WWI repros. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216597641
With a newer reproduction you're able to get one with the old school look and better steel. Better fit too.
Quote:
For duty, I love the modern novak wearing beavertail safety equipped long trigger flat back lowered and flared guns. I know a lot of people own 1911s for the nostalgia, but for me I just shoot the excellent triggers well. And grip fits like i was born with one in my hand. I wont buy a colt either, dont like their business practices and there guns cost way too much for what you get, ffanboys just hype them saying there the original, like that means anything. For the prices they charge a springfield or smith and wesson will have more features, tighter fit and more bang for your buck.
While two of mine wear Novak's, I think Heine's are the better way to go. They may not be "snag free" I much rather have sights that allow for one hand clearing.

Also I think most of us know you hate Colt, no need to keep repeating it over and over again.

Last edited by predator20; 02-18-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Ive never tried heines but always heard they are nice. Im just really used to the three dot pattern.

Of course for a collectible Id prefer a singer or union switch and signal, but im a realist. I know i wont be able to find or afford one.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Ive never tried heines but always heard they are nice. Im just really used to the three dot pattern.
I'm used to them too, but my RIA has XS sights and my P220 has two dot, I can use them just as good as three dots.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 PM

I've seen the Colt WWII reproductions on sale before, and yes, Colt is absolutely stupid for not producing them still. They would fly off the shelves, and I'd sure as hell buy one.

Anyhow, and I've said this before and I'll say it again, you can't hate a 40's Colt because of how they are in the 2000s and the 2010s. Otherwise, you should hate SIG, Smith & Wesson and Ruger to an extent, on the same basis, and I know you don't. Besides, they made the first guns, and while I believe "if it ain't a Colt, it's a copy" is a douchey thing to say, those who say it are at least right.

Oh yeah, Predator, you have a P220, huh? Would you be interested in an extra magazine? My friend gave me all these mags and ammo to sell, and one of the items happens to be a 7 round .45 P220 magazine, stamped SIG SAUER, phopshate coated (weird finish option, this one is the only one I've seen with phosphate as opposed to bluing or stainless steel). Send me a PM if you're interested, I have pics and I won't charge the crazy amount the internet or your local gun store will for the current production mag.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 02-18-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I've seen the Colt WWII reproductions on sale before, and yes, Colt is absolutely stupid for not producing them still. They would fly off the shelves, and I'd sure as hell buy one.
You damn right. I thought they only made the WWI repro, then I saw a WWII. Maybe they will in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Oh yeah, Predator, you have a P220, huh? Would you be interested in an extra magazine? My friend gave me all these mags and ammo to sell, and one of the items happens to be a P220 magazine, stamped SIG SAUER, phopshate coated (weird finish option, this one is the only one I've seen with phosphate as opposed to bluing or stainless steel). ISend me a PM if you're interested, I have pics and I won't charge the crazy amount the internet or your local gun store will.
Here's a thread on it. I need to update my user page. But I've been lazy.
http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1131
I'll send you a PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM

I wouldnt trust a 40s colt for defense, and I wouldnt mess up a collectible by adding modern stuff.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM

If I had a WWII Colt and shot it without issue, I'd trust it, that goes with any gun. If you're going to soup it up with modern accoutrements, necessary or unnecessary as they may be, then no, don't use and old one, for the love of God. I have seen so many franken70s on Gunbroker, it makes me sick that I can't afford to take one off the market in the hopes of saving it from one of these people who may want to put a layzor and massive target sights on them. Granted the owner can do whatever he wants to his/her gun, I still find it in very bad taste to customize original 70s, of which there are a limited amount. If one keeps their custom, it's fine (for them at least), but if things go south, no one is going to buy it if there is irreparable work done to it (like the frame being drilled and tapped or the dovetail cut being enlarged).
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 PM

ww2 era guns are ok....until you use hollowpoints, which is the only thing I'd use. Ethically I dont want overpenetration, realistically I want to stop a threat as quickly as possible.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
ww2 era guns are ok....until you use hollowpoints.
So they say. I won't know until I've tried it myself, and if it does happen to be a jamomatic, every smith ever knows how to throat a 1911 barrel and polish a feed ramp, and I'm comfortable using ball ammo otherwise.