imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2022, 04:13 AM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,011
Default Old school (Pre WW2) S&W

My latest acquisition as of today. Military & Police 4th Change. Serial number is 55XXXX. Figure it was manufactured sometime following WWI into the mid- twenties. I stopped in at my favorite local gun-shop yesterday. Just a little hole in the wall place. The owner actually runs an autobody shop and his gun business is a hobby. It is located off of his office area and only people who are longtime customers know about the place (I've been buying from him since 2003). Anyway, I stopped in, and he had four M&P 4th change revolvers for sale. I jumped on the 4"-barrel model and had it pulled until I could pay for it. A few hours later a guy came in and bought the other three. He asked about the 4" but he was too late. For once I was ahead of the of the crowd. Took one with my Colt OP. Both are from the same era and good representations of classic cop guns. Incidentally I paid $650 out the door. I suppose some might feel I overpaid,but considering today's market I'm happy. The bore is very clean as is the entire piece. In excellent mechanical shape as well.


Last edited by Jcordell; 01-21-2022 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2022, 06:10 AM
Greg-Z Greg-Z is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Russia
Posts: 146
Default

A great handgun!
Just curious, which of these two is better on your opinion - Colt or S&W?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2022, 07:48 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Z View Post
A great handgun!
Just curious, which of these two is better on your opinion - Colt or S&W?
I definitely prefer the S&W double action and the K frame revolver fits my medium size hand very nicely. However I just like the older Colt double action revolvers. They're very well made. Lately I've become enamored with the Ruger Security-Six series as well. I guess it's six of one half a dozen of the other.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2022, 08:06 PM
Greg-Z Greg-Z is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Russia
Posts: 146
Default

Thanks, that's interesting!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2022, 03:04 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I definitely prefer the S&W double action and the K frame revolver fits my medium size hand very nicely. However I just like the older Colt double action revolvers. They're very well made. Lately I've become enamored with the Ruger Security-Six series as well. I guess it's six of one half a dozen of the other.
If you were to get a Security Six series revolver, keep an eye on the ejector rod; sometimes on more worn in revolvers, they will back out a little bit and lock the gun up. It doesn't hurt anything, it is just annoying. I grew up shooting a Speed Six and would love to have one in .357 eventually
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2022, 07:18 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If you were to get a Security Six series revolver, keep an eye on the ejector rod; sometimes on more worn in revolvers, they will back out a little bit and lock the gun up. It doesn't hurt anything, it is just annoying. I grew up shooting a Speed Six and would love to have one in .357 eventually
The only Security Six I currently own. Next to one of my S&W Model 19s for comparison.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2022, 02:01 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,934
Default

I almost had a stainless Security Six years back, but when I went to get it it had just sold, so I looked through the shop's used gun case and came up with a Beretta 85FS and almost got THAT before I saw a S&W 645
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.