imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 AM

The Cougars are kinda silly in my opinion. They are fairly funny looking and their recoil springs are very tough. As far as Beretta 92s/96s being popular police guns, just because you don't see them carried by your local police, doesn't mean that the dozens, or hundreds of police organizations across the U.S. Don't. I talked to a few cops who carry Beretta 96s.

Also, in case you hadn't noticed, you are derailing the topic of this thread, but instead of bad jokes, with the same opinions you vocalize so often. Please stay on topic.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 AM

I'm just saying that the 92 isn't as common as you think. Now, to bring this thread back on topic, can 10mm seriously get up to .357 magnum levels of power? If that's true, I may just start paying some attention to 10mm's

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 AM

Im sure a 1911 would weigh the same as a 4506, and I prefer DA/Sa to SAO, and even if i did carry a 1911, it would not be a kimber.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The 10mm may have practical uses, but law enforcement and military are not among them. I don't fault the FBI for backtracking on it. It has nothing to do with the feds being "girly" men; it's because 10mm is a fairly difficult cartridge to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
As far as Beretta 92s/96s being popular police guns, just because you don't see them carried by your local police, doesn't mean that the dozens, or hundreds of police organizations across the U.S. Don't. I talked to a few cops who carry Beretta 96s.
The Beretta 92/96 series is definitely not a popular police gun. It may have been popular 15-20 years ago (I'm old enough to remember when our State Troopers and Highway Patrol used to carry them), but not anymore. Today, it's considered an outdated design by most law enforcement agencies, even though it's still the "default" pistol of cops and bad guys in Hollywood.

Right now, Glocks account for 65% of the U.S. law enforcement market, while SIG-Sauers account for about 30%. S&W, Beretta, and H&K are all fighting over the remaining 5% or so. That's not my opinion; it's fact. So statistically, Berettas can't really be "popular".

Last edited by MT2008; 02-16-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Around my area, I've encountered several cops from the surrounding townships since I live in North West Indiana. Most of the guns I see are mainly Glocks, Sigs, and a few S&W 4505s. There was one detective with a USP. A few in East Chicago have Beretta 96s, but just a few because they are being phased out for Glocks and SIGs. My hometown police department uses SIG P229s

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 AM

Hm, I've always wanted to go backpacking in Alaska, perhaps a 10mm would be a good anti-bear-piece.

Capacity beats a .357 wheel gun.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Right now, Glocks account for 65% of the U.S. law enforcement market, while SIG-Sauers account for about 30%. S&W, Beretta, and H&K are all fighting over the remaining 5% or so. That's not my opinion; it's fact. So statistically, Berettas can't really be "popular".
That's a pretty powerful statistic. I don't doubt it entirely but where did you acquire that information?

Also, average 10mm loads can equal average to high powered .357 Magnum loads. I consider them more or less equal in power.

I'm also not a hunter nor do I understand what is effective or not against whatever game, but I don't think 10mm is adequate for killing bears.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 02-16-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

A pistol is not really your primary weapon in hunting. That's what shotguns and rifles are for, but merely a backup weapon. A bear comes running towards you, you might be able to get one shot off your rifle, if it's a bolt action before it is in your face. Rather than running, you best draw your sidearm and empty it as fast as you can pull the trigger. The shear amount of lead coming into the bear, especially at close range, would put it down. Contrary to what some might say that a little pistol would have no effect on a bear, it's just fur and skin. A bear doesn't have plated armor. Bullets of most typical caliber in handguns will hurt and kill bears if they are in the effective range. They'd at least stop charging, because you are giving them pain.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Im sure a 1911 would weigh the same as a 4506, and I prefer DA/Sa to SAO, and even if i did carry a 1911, it would not be a kimber.
Yeah my 4505 weighs 2 lbs 15 oz and my 1911 2 lbs 12.4 oz. They're pretty much the same size. The 4505 has a little bit of extra width on the slide. I'm not sure if anything has been done to mine, but the DA trigger is fairly nice. Especially compared to my Beretta's DA trigger

On the Beretta 92/96 still being carried by the police. Our police and sheriff departments carried them for about 10 to 15 years. In the past year or two, I've started to see Glocks on their hips. The Beretta's I'm pretty sure were 9mm, I don't know about the Glocks. Some of our State Troopers carried Beretta's also.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM

10mm will have to be hand loaded to exceed .357 mag, most factory ammo is somewhat downsized, and when yo play with crazy ass reloads you need to test pistol function, change springs, etc.
Ive seen when the smith and wesson 10mm/40 smith revovler has been loaded to rediculous levels and exceeds most .357s.
So 10 mil will be near a .357 and has good penetration for bear defense, but theres a lot of factors to look into.