imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I could check other gun shops, but would probably get about the same offers from them. They got to make a profit off it. I would be better off selling to an individual. So for now I'll just keep it. The gun shop that has the SIG P220 I was interested in has a layaway plan. So I could always do that.
I say, get it re-finished in titanium nitride, get some ivory or pearl grips, and then you can be Goldmember.

Also, there's a two-tone Mark I that was used by the villain Tempus in an episode of "Lois & Clark". It had a brushed chrome frame and slide, but regular blued barrel and controls, and I thought that was a neat-looking combination. If I owned an Eagle, I think that's the finish I would want.

Quote:
Well Magnum Research designed it and IMI makes them. But IMI is now IWI. There was a period there, I think it was during Mark VII production where they made in the USA I guess by Magnum Research.
Wikipedia says that the Desert Eagle was briefly manufactured by Saco Defense between 1996 and 2000, then IMI/IWI resumed manufacture after that.

Quote:
You do make a good point about breaking it down by the models. I mean the 1911 page is broke down M1911, M1911A1, series 70 and series 80.

Even though imfdb is not gun encyclopedia, it pretty much turns out that way because of the different model break down this site does.
Yeah, it makes sense to classify them by models. Unfortunately, the Desert Eagle page has become so huge that it would be pretty hard to do at this point. But I should add that to my to-do list...

Last edited by MT2008; 03-28-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I never knew there was a Mark 1 Desert Eagle before predator20 posted his though, I just saw the world.guns page and assumed the VII and XIX were the only models. Hell I just learned about the barrel cut sin .357 and .44 Models. I guess my attention isn't paid to guns that are popular and not practical heheheh.
Barrels cuts for .357/.44 calibers is only on the Mark XIX.

I don't think Magnum Research has ever actually called the Mark I the "Mark I". Or at least, they definitely didn't in any of the old advertising I've seen. I get the impression that "Mark I" is a name that was added in retrospect after the newer generations of Desert Eagle were introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
All the same if I were a millionaire I'd like to have a .357 MKI in Stainless steel for cool points.
Any reason for the Mark I? Like Brian said, it's harder to swap calibers on the Mark I.

On the other hand, I hate rails on anything, so I wouldn't want a Mark XIX. I think that visually, I like the look of the Mark VII the most.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Barrels cuts for .357/.44 calibers is only on the Mark XIX.

I don't think Magnum Research has ever actually called the Mark I the "Mark I". Or at least, they definitely didn't in any of the old advertising I've seen. I get the impression that "Mark I" is a name that was added in retrospect after the newer generations of Desert Eagle were introduced.

Any reason for the Mark I? Like Brian said, it's harder to swap calibers on the Mark I.

On the other hand, I hate rails on anything, so I wouldn't want a Mark XIX. I think that visually, I like the look of the Mark VII the most.
The only thing I like about the Mark VII over the Mark I is the slide stop. Mine has a single step and it isn't enough.

Even the Mark VII .357 and .44 require the slide to be changed also. The Mark VII .50 is essentially a Mark XIX but without the rail notches.

I could deal with rail notches on the XIX but the fluted barrels are ugly.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I say, get it re-finished in titanium nitride, get some ivory or pearl grips, and then you can be Goldmember. ...
Matte hard chrome is about as far as I would go. The factory titanium nitride they use to have didn't look bad. Looked more copper than gold.

Quote:
Also, there's a two-tone Mark I that was used by the villain Tempus in an episode of "Lois & Clark". It had a brushed chrome frame and slide, but regular blued barrel and controls, and I thought that was a neat-looking combination. If I owned an Eagle, I think that's the finish I would want.
I have seen a Mark VII like that a few times. Crank 2 High Voltage and also an episode of The Shield. But I don't think the controls were blued

Quote:
Wikipedia says that the Desert Eagle was briefly manufactured by Saco Defense between 1996 and 2000, then IMI/IWI resumed manufacture after that.
I very rarely see USA built ones for sale.

Quote:
Yeah, it makes sense to classify them by models. Unfortunately, the Desert Eagle page has become so huge that it would be pretty hard to do at this point. But I should add that to my to-do list...
Since the models aren't noted on the current list, you could always convert it to the wiki grid list. Then as time goes on the model could be added to note section.

I converted the Beretta 92FS list, it took a while but it couldn't be as long as that.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Since the models aren't noted on the current list, you could always convert it to the wiki grid list. Then as time goes on the model could be added to note section.

I converted the Beretta 92FS list, it took a while but it couldn't be as long as that.
I've been sick today (head cold, again), and I didn't feel like doing any research, so I took some time to re-organize the Desert Eagle page. It's now organized by variant (Mark I, Mark VII, Mark XIX), and I got most of the movies and TV shows on the page within the right categories. I didn't even try with the video games though, nor did I create the grid.

If I got any of the info wrong about the Desert Eagle variants (since, as you can imagine, I'm no expert), feel free to correct me.

Quote:
Matte hard chrome is about as far as I would go. The factory titanium nitride they use to have didn't look bad. Looked more copper than gold.
My contact at ISS told me that the ones they re-finished for "Goldmember" kept getting too "foggy" pretty easily, not to mention smudges and fingerprints are highly visible. They kept having to wipe them down after extended usage.

Quote:
I have seen a Mark VII like that a few times. Crank 2 High Voltage and also an episode of The Shield. But I don't think the controls were blued
More of ISS's guns, I imagine. They've got a lot of custom Eagles in inventory, that were built for lots of different movies and TV shows (and reused later on others).

Quote:
I very rarely see USA built ones for sale.
I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. I wonder if they even bothered to change the markings? From what I've read, they received a whole bunch of parts that IMI/IWI had already made, and just assembled/finish them.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM

haha...
i laugh at the thought of this topic.
foolish being. i didnt learn my gun skills
I WAS BORN WITH THEM!
instinct my dear lad
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I've been sick today (head cold, again), and I didn't feel like doing any research, so I took some time to re-organize the Desert Eagle page. It's now organized by variant (Mark I, Mark VII, Mark XIX), and I got most of the movies and TV shows on the page within the right categories. I didn't even try with the video games though, nor did I create the grid.

If I got any of the info wrong about the Desert Eagle variants (since, as you can imagine, I'm no expert), feel free to correct me.
Great work on the page. I'm no expert either. Most of the info I learned had to with caliber swapping.

Quote:
My contact at ISS told me that the ones they re-finished for "Goldmember" kept getting too "foggy" pretty easily, not to mention smudges and fingerprints are highly visible. They kept having to wipe them down after extended usage.
Yeah I seen one of those gold bastards pop up again on "Chuck" Adam Baldwin used it during the "Arms show" episode.

Don't know if you been watching Chuck. But I loved the last episode when Chuck gave Casey his Sig back as a present.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. I wonder if they even bothered to change the markings? From what I've read, they received a whole bunch of parts that IMI/IWI had already made, and just assembled/finish them.
That may be the reason why few USA marked ones come up for sale, most were assembled from left over IMI parts.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM

careful, painstaking research through reading numerous books identifying guns. It hasn't seemed to have done me much good however

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 AM

@ Matt, I know the cuts are only on the XIX models, at the time I didn't think to type the designation since I figured you guys would know what I was talking about without having to retort.

I wouldn't have any desire to swap calibers, I like the .357 Magnum plenty, and besides, finding a Stainless replacement barrel in any caliber would be a challenge. I've only seen the black oxide barrels on the market by themselves. That aside, the only obvious difference I see in the MK I and the MK VII is the safety, and I can take the original one or the fang looking one, though the MK I would fit the kinds of guns I get better (rare, functional, usually earlier variants).

Last edited by Yournamehere; 03-30-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It took me awhile to notice the differences between AR-15 and M16 rifles

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”