imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-16-2024, 10:36 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default G34

After contemplating the G34 for at the past (approximately) 22 years today I finally "pulled the trigger" and bought a gen 5 G34 just because. I tried to buy a gen 3, but all the local shops said that the gen 3 models are hard to get since they get shipped to California first. So I went with the gen 5. I tend to favor short-barreled revolvers and long barreled pistols. Bought it through Glock's Blue Label program so it saved me approximately $130. Can't complain. A comparison to my G45 which is my duty sidearm.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Nice find! You'll enjoy it. IMHO, no handgun collection is complete without a "practical tactical" pistol, and the G34 is pretty much the king of such pistols. My G34 (and I have a Gen 3) is my favorite Glock to shoot, out of the four that I own, even though it's definitely not an EDC piece.

Interesting what you heard about the Gen 3s, though it makes sense - maybe for not much longer given the recent challenges to the CA handgun roster. I still like the Gen 3s better than any of the other generations, even though I can still buy Gen 4s or Gen 5s here in MD. Plus, the aftermarket support industry is geared more towards the Gen 3s than anything else - most of the new frames, slides, barrels, etc. that can be purchased are meant to upgrade Gen 3s, simply because there have been so many made not only for CA, but for various LEOs and govt/military contracts as well.

Last edited by MT2008; 01-20-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:26 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Yes, it's a very pleasant shooter. The 9mm isn't a hard recoiling cartridge, but the longer barrel makes it even more of a soft shooting experience.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Yes, it's a very pleasant shooter. The 9mm isn't a hard recoiling cartridge, but the longer barrel makes it even more of a soft shooting experience.
Yeah, that's how I've always felt - especially compared to my G26. It's such a fun pistol to shoot. When I took my wife shooting for the first time (pretty recently), she fired both my G34 and G26. I had hoped to get her into the G26 so that it would be her pistol, but she likes the G34 so much better.

Last edited by Jcordell; 01-25-2024 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:51 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Funny how that happens. My 26 year old son absolutely loves shooting my Beretta 92FS. Relatively speaking that is an old gun/design. I figured he would prefer my Glocks or Canick. Nope. I was surprised.