imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-03-2015, 03:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
.500 S&W, obviously. :P
.50 AE is more practical...

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Can anyone argue a reason to use a caliber other than 9mm for a handgun in self defense/police usage...
The reality is that you need to find a caliber you can train regularly enough with to become proficient with. Bigger calibers generally have more recoil (and effective range, but that's given the data on the close-range nature of defensive shootings that's not likely to be very useful) and if you can't train enough with them they're not much use to you. This is likely the reason why the FBI went back to 9x19mm despite experimenting first with 10mm and then .40 S&W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
However, I feel that .357 Magnum would be more flexible and all-around applicable, but it'd not be my first choice because even though I shoot revolvers pretty well, I highly doubt I'd be able to reload it under stress fast enough for it to be much use past the 6-7 shots I'd get from the first cylinder full
Have you tried using moon clips for revolvers? They have the potential to be even faster than speedloaders, and also make retaining spent brass cases very easy.

Quote:
Though im still getting a 10mm for hiking/camping.
I've heard that fully-loaded 10mm out of purpose-built 10mm handguns has less felt recoil than fully-loaded .40 S&W, despite the fact that .40 S&W was a downloaded version of the 10mm. Is it because 10mm handguns are built larger and heavier than .40 S&W ones, since the latter were intended to be very similar in size to 9x19mm handguns?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Have you tried using moon clips for revolvers? They have the potential to be even faster than speedloaders, and also make retaining spent brass cases very easy.
6-8 little poles into 6-8 little holes on the wrong side of the gun, don't think it'll fly

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I've heard that fully-loaded 10mm out of purpose-built 10mm handguns has less felt recoil than fully-loaded .40 S&W, despite the fact that .40 S&W was a downloaded version of the 10mm. Is it because 10mm handguns are built larger and heavier than .40 S&W ones, since the latter were intended to be very similar in size to 9x19mm handguns?
This'n here

.40 exists because someone took a look at the 10mm load the FBI was using and figured out they could get the same performance out of a shorter round, allowing for a smaller gun with a higher capacity. Honestly the 1006/1076/whatever they issued was kind of wasted on the piddly pop 10mm load they were using

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Now my S&W 4506 and box of 500 rounds are nothing but a novelty
I'll give you $5 and half a Coke for it

Old 08-04-2015, 02:47 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Oh lord the Caliber War has arrived here at imfdb. Albeit in a very civilized way. Here's what I go with.

I carry the Federal 124 grain +P HST jacketed hollow point in my Glock 19. My backup is a Smith & Wesson Model 49 Bodyguard. I carry 125 grain +P jacketed hollow points in it. I like the 45 acp and the 357 magnum, but for everyday I go with the 9mm and 38 Special. Bullet engineering has come a long ways since the FBI-Miami Shooting in 1986. I like the 9mm. I shoot it well. Also I don't have big hands and I find the Glock 19 Gen 4 to be comfortable and easy to handle. The 9mm doesn't beat up a pistol like more high powered loads do (40 S&W) and it's more affordable.

I am one of a handful of officers that carry the Glock 19. The majority carry the Glock 21 (45acp). Most of our detectives carry the Glock 30, but a few carry the Glock 19.

In the past fifteen years (since I've been with my agency) we've had three officer involved shootings. One suspect was put down with a single 45 to his heart. Another one took several 5.56 mm rounds - fired by SWAT when he pointed a gun at them. The last one was shot by an off duty officer who was carrying a S&W Model 640 in 38 Special. He hit the suspect in the shin. The hollow point performed perfectly and shattered the suspect's shin bone. The suspect promptly fell to the ground, dropped his gun (a POS Raven 25 caliber pistol) screamed in agony and gave up. He is still in prison and the officer is still working with us.

In all three cases the bullets did what they were supposed to do regardless of the caliber. They ended the threat. The loss of life is secondary (not desired) in law enforcement . Despite what all the screeching and the "protesters" would have you believe over the past year we don't want to kill people. No I haven't been in a shooting and I hope I never am involved in a shooting. I have nine more years to go before I can retire. No shootings. Please.

Last edited by Jcordell; 08-04-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
6-8 little poles into 6-8 little holes on the wrong side of the gun, don't think it'll fly
What do you mean? Of course moon clips for revolvers have to be inserted into the rear of the cylinder, just like speedloaders.

Quote:
.40 exists because someone took a look at the 10mm load the FBI was using and figured out they could get the same performance out of a shorter round, allowing for a smaller gun with a higher capacity. Honestly the 1006/1076/whatever they issued was kind of wasted on the piddly pop 10mm load they were using
In this respect the 10mm was ahead of its time, as the technology and techniques to make handguns strong enough to handle it over a long lifetime of use weren't available then. Perhaps the FBI could have tried the Glock 20 instead of switching back to 9mm (their SWAT teams are still using the 10mm version of the MP5). .40 S&W guns have had a reputation for self-destructing, but that hasn't been heard of in purpose-built 10mm guns (at least not as often). The Glock 20 can be converted to fire .40 S&W (for cheaper training ammo) and .357 SIG with nothing more than a barrel change as well.

But in any case, what exactly is AdAstra2009 willing to try? There's lots to try out there, and given the "ammo panics" prices of widely-used calibers aren't guaranteed to stay affordable.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:22 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Yes. that's it. The 40 caliber pistols mostly start out as 9mm models which is part of the problem. It is my understanding that the S&W 3rd Generation 40 (4000 models) caliber pistols were built around the 40 S&W which is why they had a better track record. However I have never owned one of the 40 caliber S&W autos so I'm going off what I've read on the S&W forums.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? Of course moon clips for revolvers have to be inserted into the rear of the cylinder, just like speedloaders.
I am left handed

The cylinder on all but the Charter Arms Southpaw open out the left side of the gun, meaning I am meant to reload using the hand with which I am currently gripping the revolver

The cylinder release is on the left side of the gun, the opposite side of where my thumb would be situated

As someone who is left handed, this configuration is functionally useless to me unless I have 20 seconds or so to reload

Old 08-07-2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Yes. that's it. The 40 caliber pistols mostly start out as 9mm models which is part of the problem. It is my understanding that the S&W 3rd Generation 40 (4000 models) caliber pistols were built around the 40 S&W which is why they had a better track record. However I have never owned one of the 40 caliber S&W autos so I'm going off what I've read on the S&W forums.
Well, that just gives more reason for those using purpose-built .40 S&Ws to go and try 10mm handguns. Conversion barrels to .40 S&W are usually available for those.

Quote:
I am left handed

The cylinder on all but the Charter Arms Southpaw open out the left side of the gun, meaning I am meant to reload using the hand with which I am currently gripping the revolver

The cylinder release is on the left side of the gun, the opposite side of where my thumb would be situated

As someone who is left handed, this configuration is functionally useless to me unless I have 20 seconds or so to reload
Kind of makes you wish the MP-412 REX hadn't been cancelled, doesn't it? Top-break revolvers like the REX are ambidextrous, after all. Have you tried moving the revolver over to your right hand so you can push the cylinder release, then putting the revolver back in your left hand after you've finished reloading?