imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM

As for glocks, well, unconfortable grips (finger grooves narrower than my fingers) and weird grip angle, doesnt point naturally, and poor trigger, Police get them because there reliable enough (glock reliability is horribly inflated though, they can and will jam if treated bad.) and simple so less time is needed training. There also cheap for the budget types. Problem also is many are too light for the caliber, like the .40 smith versions. If i get a .40 i want it to weigh more than 22-23 ounces for recoil control. There hyped, overrated and not a good shooting gun.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

You know, I'd put my life on a Glock. They aren't bad guns. All guns do jam if not treated properly. And I don't find the grip or the trigger to be much of a problem to me

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM

All guns do jam, i just know too many glock fanboys who claim they cant. They are just that gun i could never like.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

But I'd take a Springfield XD over the Glock. It feels better, the grip is based on the angle and grip of the 1911, the trigger feels better and better reliability.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Have you tried an xdm trigger? Ive heard they're more single action like.

Im still a metal gun (just feels solid and soaks up recoil.) fan. I love DA/SA SIGs. But if the xdm really is an improvement over the xd, as a range gn and at that pricepoint id be interested.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

I plan to get an XDM. It's really good in my hands.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Yeah my 4505 weighs 2 lbs 15 oz and my 1911 2 lbs 12.4 oz. They're pretty much the same size. The 4505 has a little bit of extra width on the slide. I'm not sure if anything has been done to mine, but the DA trigger is fairly nice. Especially compared to my Beretta's DA trigger
That doesn't sound right. 1911s on average weigh 37 ounces (2 pounds, 5 ounces, 1 pound=16 ounces) and a 4505/6 will weigh about the same, maybe a few ounces heavier. Were you weighing them loaded or on a 12 ounces=1 pound scale?

Also if it has a trigger that's better than a Berettas, more power to ya. 3rd gen Smith autos tend to have pretty bad triggers compared to Berettas and SIGs, but the 4505 might be an exception as it was an early model and wasn't mass produced (or at least not as much so as the 4506 or 5906).

I also read that the Novak sighted 4505 is the rarest configuration of the gun, so again you have another reason to be proud of it.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 02-16-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:33 PM

1911 weights are tricky. Many manufacturers post weight without mag, and things like a skeltonized hammer and thinner grips can strip off ounces quick. Then if you have higher profile combat sights, made of metal, well, they add a couple ounces. But this is a duty gun for open carry on a holster belt, i dont care if its 37 ounces or 43 ounces. Theres better places to save weight than a gun, a heavy gun shoots better. Start by switching a leather duty belt to nylon or other tough material and get a lighter flashlight, a maglights too heavy.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
That doesn't sound right. 1911s on average weigh 37 ounces (2 pounds, 5 ounces, 1 pound=16 ounces) and a 4505/6 will weigh about the same, maybe a few ounces heavier. Were you weighing them loaded or on a 12 ounces=1 pound scale?

Also if it has a trigger that's better than a Berettas, more power to ya. 3rd gen Smith autos tend to have pretty bad triggers compare to Smiths and SIGs, but the 4505 might be an exception as it was an early model and wasn't mass produced (or at least not as much so as the 4506 or 5906).

I also read that the Novak sighted 4505 is the rarest configuration of the gun, so again you have another reason to be proud of it.
They were both loaded with 8 rounds in the mag. Unloaded my 1911 weighs 2 lbs 3.7 oz, the mag with 8 rounds weighs 8.6 oz by itself. Mines a Para, I think my dads Taurus weighs about an oz or two heavier.

How heavy was the hammer on your old S&W? Mine is fairly light which may be making the trigger pull better. I haven't shot it yet, I don't want to be getting light primer strikes.

Last edited by predator20; 02-16-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM

I don't know the exact weight or the trigger pull weight but the hammer was fairly light. Since it's a double action trigger the hammer is only one part of the whole mechanism, so there are other things that contribute to a good or bad pull. I could thumb cock the hammer pretty easily and the single action wasn't bad, though it had a lot of play between pulling it and actually dropping the hammer. The Double Action was steady but pretty rough, worse than a double action revolver. It was still very shootable though.

Anyhow the overall weights loaded seem about right, I thought you were going with unloaded weights.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 02-16-2010 at 11:54 PM.