imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 AM

Default Shooting with finger on front of trigger guard.

It seems very looked down upon. But I was shooting a kimber today, and was pulling shots right. I tend to do that a lot. I put support finger on front of trigger guard, and slow fired, and started hitting center and fairly tight. i say this technique works for me. Why is it so frowned upon? When I get my own 1911 i may have the trigger guard serrated to try some rapid fire with this.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Some people do it but it's looked down because there's a possibility that your finger could slip and accidentally pull the trigger.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 AM

I've never heard anyone say it's stupid or frown upon it, no one credible at least. I see a fair amount of people do it and not do it so I always thought they were the top two grip options that people pick. I don't do it since my hands are small enough to wrap around the entirety of my fire hand, and it's just not comfortable to me, but my friend does it, and we're both at about the same competency when it comes to shooting handguns.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 AM

My hands are fairly large and I find it more confortable on single stacks and such. Also, that finger will not slip to the trigger, impossible, you'd have to try to do that.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 AM
IMFDB Admin

I don't see why it's frowned upon, whatever works for you. If you're shooting to the right, you may be using too much trigger finger.

http://www.is-lan.com/challenge/imag...Correction.pdf

I often pull to the right with my Hi-Powers because of the gritty pull.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 AM

Ive always tended to shoot right, i may really try to practice better trigger finger position. the finger on trigger guard thing actually seems to steady gun altogether and tighten groups real well though.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Ive always tended to shoot right, i may really try to practice better trigger finger position. the finger on trigger guard thing actually seems to steady gun altogether and tighten groups real well though.
Common reasons for shooting off to one side include:

* Most rationally, your sights may be off. On 1911s with standard installed sights sometimes the sights get out of alignment and require a tap to get back to center. I had this problem at one point.

* Your form. Best way to keep the gun aligned properly is to keep your shooting arm straight and leveled with your dominant eye. Think of your arm like a rifle stock for better alignment.

* Trigger finger is important. Lots of shooters wrap their finger all the way around the trigger, which causes the gun to shoot off center because you are not pulling it straight back. Use the tip of your finger for the best control.

* Trigger weight. Make sure the trigger pull is reasonable. If it's too heavy, the struggle can offput your shots.

Address all those issues and you should be driving tacs all day long my friend.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM

I noticed this grip lets my support hand ride higher which will help with subcompacts, I never could grip a small gun confortably.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Damn that's a handy chart!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I noticed this grip lets my support hand ride higher which will help with subcompacts, I never could grip a small gun confortably.
That's why most bigger people still do it, especially on smaller guns. I can't shoot subcompact Glocks without a grip/mag extension unless I move my support finger to the trigger guard. Otherwise, the palm of my support hand extends past the bottom of the grip and I don't have a firm hold on the gun.

Though I'd rather just buy the mag extension (and get the extra rounds) than shoot with my support finger on the trigger guard.