imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Can I quote you on the page on this movie?

as another member said we noticed the vehicle mounted minigun but missed the handheld model.
Go right ahead on the quote. I have see a still with the backback minigun and it was in one of the trailers.

I wonder if anybody noticed the L85 Bullpups in the film.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
According to a few aquaitances who've been in that buisiness. it's very overrated. Then think about what happened to a friend of mine. She was watching one of those films with a few mates and the guy in the scene looked really familiar. Then it hit her and her friends were treated with the immortal words... "Oh, my god that's my dad!"

Personally I would stick with firearms as they are less likely to come back to haunt you.
*falls out of chair laughing*
Old 06-27-2009, 05:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

First of all, Happy B-Day, John! 16 is still kind of a fun age, if you have your license by then (I got mine around that time). But yes, 18 and 21 are waaaayyyy better. Unfortunately, it's all downhill after that (or, at least, it has been for me, so far).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
I wonder if anybody noticed the L85 Bullpups in the film.
I think I missed them, but I'm guessing they were used by the British NEST operators?

All I remember seeing clearly in the movie were the tricked-out M4s, the modded M249s, the Miniguns mounted in the jeeps, AKMs on the backs of the Egyptian border guards, and the M2s fitted to the Humvees.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well the problem with this movie is that the story doesn't grab your attention. The action scenes were good, but that's all, the last battle in the desert seemed like a rehash of the desert battle scene from the first movie. We see too much screen time with Shia Labow or whatever his name is. Everytime the scene went back to him, I wanted to hang myself. The plot seemed full of too many holes, we got too many cliche characters, and comic relief like those 2 black sterortype cars with the gold teeth, the balls on the Devastator. The full ASS SHOT and front shot on the big screen. Megan Fox being a sex symbol being TOO much. I mean who details a motorcycle posing over it like that. The relationship is not believable. The parents are annoying, like the mom, we see 2 dogs fucking each other twice and once was more than enough and not funny. And in the end, nothing seems to be accomplished. It tried to be hard to be epic when it should tone it down.
Oh, I agree with you completely that the story and the characters were completely unnecessary to the plot (personally, if I'd been the director of these movies, I would have axed Shia LaBeouf completely and made Lennox and his men into the main human characters). But really, let's face it - summer movies rarely have memorable characters or interesting stories.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Spoiler alerts from things i said below

The other problem is that, not that I diss the military. I love the military in all it's glory, but the movie over glorified it and also made them as useful as they would be in a Godzilla movie. Seriously, they are fighting giant robots, even in the new movie, their weapons pretty much stink half the time. I can turn all the scenes with Lennox and his team into an ad for all the armed forces by making it as epic as possible. "Join the army...and fight robots from space."

One of the worse performances is when the Sam character and Megan's character were doing the "I want a break up, but quickly back to a relationship" was so unbelievable, it looks like it was tacked on. The mom getting high on brownies made from weed was very stupid and bad acting there.

As with the bots, you could barely tell which Decepticons was which, at points I couldnt tell Starscream from Megatron. We barely get to see Ironhide or Ratchet talk, those black cliche cars got more screen time than Bumblebee. Optimus was dead for over half the movie and they got that weird bot that can look like a person just for the whole sex appeal thing. The RC motorcycle bots got almost no screentime before both of them got shot at the end of the movie and the ending battle really ended very abruptly and had a very anti-climactic feel. It's like you're having sex and it's very fun and amazing and then suddenly it just ends. The whole climax and afterglow blows by you so fast just when it felt like it was getting even better.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 AM

I like how the military was an effective fighting force that did some damage, the first movie they just got their asses kicked. There was some good action, i liked the movie.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I am not dissing the action of the humans, but since this was a movie based on a cartoon based on a series of toys by Hasbro that was based on Japanese toys which did their own tv series...the human military is as effective as they would be in a Godzilla movie...not the American Godzilla movie, that movie was crap.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
The other problem is that, not that I diss the military. I love the military in all it's glory, but the movie over glorified it and also made them as useful as they would be in a Godzilla movie. Seriously, they are fighting giant robots, even in the new movie, their weapons pretty much stink half the time. I can turn all the scenes with Lennox and his team into an ad for all the armed forces by making it as epic as possible. "Join the army...and fight robots from space."
Well, look at it this way...do you think the DoD would have loaned Michael Bay all of the hardware you see in this movie unless they were portrayed in a positive manner? Those M1A2s and Bradleys and CH-53s and all that other shit you saw in the film came with a price.

Personally, while watching the movie, there were some scenes where I could almost hear the liaison standing over Bay's shoulder and saying, "OK, Mr. Bay, we need you to make sure you have the M1A2 in the center of the shot so that the 13-year old boys will all get a good look at it. Tell your cinematographer to make sure the focus is on the tank."

Quote:
I am not dissing the action of the humans, but since this was a movie based on a cartoon based on a series of toys by Hasbro that was based on Japanese toys which did their own tv series...the human military is as effective as they would be in a Godzilla movie...not the American Godzilla movie, that movie was crap.
The military was incompetent in the American Godzilla movie, too.

Speaking of which, note the coincidence: The dude who played the lead military officer in the American "Godzilla" is the same actor who plays Shia LaBeouf's dad in both "Transformers" movies. (damn, I read IMDB too much...)

Last edited by MT2008; 07-01-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Maybe I'm wierd, but I liked Godzilla (2008).

And have no shame in reading IMDb often, it is a wonderful tool which greatly aids the making of pages on IMFDb. Those who don't use it don't follow proper format though...

I have yet to see Transformers 2, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I read an interview in a... uhhh.... magazine where Shia LaBeouf talked about the movie, and apparently one of the explosions set a guiness world record. People tend to hate him, but after reading that interview I gotta say, he's a funny guy.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Maybe I'm wierd, but I liked Godzilla (2008).
There was a 2008 Godzilla movie? How the hell did I miss that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

The military was incompetent in the American Godzilla movie, too.

Speaking of which, note the coincidence: The dude who played the lead military officer in the American "Godzilla" is the same actor who plays Shia LaBeouf's dad in both "Transformers" movies. (damn, I read IMDB too much...)
Oh, that's why the dad in Transformers was so familiar. And well I didn't like the American Godzilla movie because...they fucking KILLED Godzilla. The one major idea of a Godzilla movie is that the military is useless against giant things that either breaths fire or made of metal. Forget logic and reason, it's the terror factor of unstoppable monster. I hated the fact they killed Godzilla in the American movie. That was bullshit.

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-01-2009 at 05:35 AM.