imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 AM

Default Colt M2011

So, with 2011 closing fast, i think that Colt's Manufactoring Company creating a new line of 1911 would be awesome. This thread is basically for people to discuss what they would like to see out of the hopefully-soon-to-be-new pistol.

Personally, i would like to see a double capacity 2011.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 AM

Actually there's already a double stack 1911-type pistol being marketed as the 2011 by STI.

Colt isn't really a very up-to-date company - basically they're making relatively good-quality versions of their classics (the 1911 and the SAA) and AR-15s. They've been having financial troubles for years and there's alot of machinery sitting unusued in their factory. What I'd really like to see is them get back into the double-action revolver business.

Last edited by Nyles; 01-22-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've read an article from Guns and Ammo magazine about this one handgun that is loosely called the 2011. I forgot about it, but I think it might just be a variant of the STI models. It's pretty sweet looking.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Actually there's already a double stack 1911-type pistol being marketed as the 2011 by STI.
Knowing Colt, they'll probably sue, given that they tend to do that to anyone who offers an improved version of one of their designs that they wish they'd thought of themselves.

Personally, I'm doubtful Colt can offer anything that would make me buy one of their new 1911s over one of their competitor's. They may be the 1911's original manufacturer, but fact is, many other companies have now passed them by.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 AM

I dreamed up my own concept of the 2011 pistol. It was a fusion of the MEU SOC line and the Beretta M9 in that it featured an open slide design like the Berettas, but at it's heart it was still a 1911. It was chambered for 10mm Auto, and had Novak sights, a Commander hammer (the real ones, not the big ones they make today), a picatinny rail, a beveled mag well and extended working parts for better one handed use (slide stop, safety etc.) It was designated for a Special Forces group that had to help Russian military personell fight a small unit of Ex-KGB agents and descedants. I had a drawign of it somewhere but God knows where it is.

As far as a tangible 2011 pistol, we have enough 1911 style pistols, I don't think anyone, especially a broke company like Colt will bother with the hundredth anniversary gun. All they make that's good now are the SAAs and the Series 70s. The only real way there can be a 2011 is if they do something like my idea, fuse a separate concept that's new to the 1911 family with a 1911 pistol, changing something, but still leaving it the venerable 1911 pistol at the core.

Also I just got my comp back yesterday and it feels good to be back. Did ya miss me? I know you did, it's okay. Heheh.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Why an open slide like the M92 series?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Just cause it looks cool really.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 PM

Problem is it lets in all the dust and grit so prevalent in Afghanistan.