imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Rules for new members - PART DEUX!

Though I encourage anyone to try their hand at contributing to IMFDB, please note that if you don't know what you're talking about .... Don't change the pages!!!!!!!!!

(a) Make sure your information is true/factual/correct before changing an established page. Especially if the page is a complete or established page that has been edited over and over again by experienced SuperUsers or Mods. It gets tiresome to '''undo''' edits made by anonymous new users with no accounts, and those edits are wrong.

(b) If the information is good and you're corrected a mistake, then by all means ... do it! No one should get annoyed or threatened if you make changes that are correct. The caveat to this is that you must be RIGHT.

(c) I've reiterated this before, improving the site is for the benefit of everyone. If someone (well....a lot of times its me ) REPLACES your gun photo with a much better pic, don't get pissed off about it. If anyone replaces your screenshot with a much better version of the same shot, then don't get pissed about it. I know it seems like someone is stepping on your toes, but seriously. People in the past have made corrections to pages I've worked really hard on, and you know what? If the information is correct, I'm happy. If the image is better, even if it's someone else's, I'm happy. Because it makes the site that much better. The only time you should get annoyed is if the image is crappier than yours. Or the new image fundamentally shows something different than what you were trying to show. But if someone wants to replace the screenshots on pages I've done 99% of the work on, with stunning BLU-RAY scans, then by all means do it!!! The average viewer of IMFDB doesn't give a damn who made the page, only that the page looks good.

(d) No Manga scans, No Comic Book scans, No flash Games, No Personal VG Mods, No homemade Youtube videos, No Flash generated short 'films' .... this is IMFDB. If it does not appear on IMDB then it will not appear here.

(e) Don't feel that you need to 'express your inner creativity' by completely changing the FORMAT of established pages to some weird new layout. There are now hundreds of pages and many are established pages with the layout that seems to work best for most visitors. Besides, the guys who make radical changes to a page's layout, usually only has the patience to screw up one or two pages and then leaves all of the other hundred pages alone. If you have a suggestion for layout changes, then post it to the forum and see what the majority of the others think.

(f) Learn how to spell. I know the median age of our users is plummetting and the majority are now minors, but this is supposed to be an information page about firearms in films (and expanded into television/anime/VG). The entire site looks like it was made by seven year olds when the simplest sentences are written like gibberish. Other similar Wikis have much better grammar and layout discipline than we do. Perhaps that's why the Mods seem to slam down so hard on new anonymous members who post lame or incomplete pages.

(g)I can't repeat this enough. Know what you're talking about before you post. Don't count on what 'a friend of a friend' told you or what you've heard on a forum 'online'. Most of this info is B.S.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:00 AM

Plus please stop calling the Beretta an "M92FS."

Ach, sorry MPM. I don't want to turn this into a pet peeve thread.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I've reiterated this before, improving the site is for the benefit of everyone. If someone (well....a lot of times its me ) REPLACES your gun photo with a much better pic, don't get pissed off about it.
I hope you aren't subtly refering to how I left you a message after you replaced the MP5K pic on the Matrix page. I was only letting you know I planned to improve the images myself in the future so you wouldn't need to do it.

I personally wouldn't be too pleased if every page's screencaps was replaced by Bluray images, since my "pages done list" would suddenly have "replaced" messages all over it. Plus, someone could not do as good of a job as what was on the original page. But that's just my worrying .
Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 AM

There should be linked from the main page somehow.
Some how I am under the impression that these people do not check the forums.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 AM
IMFDB Admin

Most of the people who typically make these errors don't give two flying shits about rules anyway.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

I just thought I should point out a re-did the images for the Matrix page by making them smaller, de-stretching them, brightening, and sharpening them. Check out the page and see how I did (if they still look the same at first, reload the page and they should look new).
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

I have never maintained a 'page created' by list because bragging rights may leads to problems. We must avoid the phenomenon of resisting changes to the pages that are better, because we may start claiming giant chunks of the site as 'our own' that no one can improve or fix.

I would accept changes (by others) to pages that I have worked hard on, if they are improvements (like catching guns I missed or have better screencaps) or correct erroneous information. I fear us becoming too 'territorial' because we've been kicking back stupid crap by ignorant or idiotic anonymous or Noob users for months now. I would gladly have another user make high definition BLU RAY replacement screenshots for any page I made. I don't care as long as the page looks awesome.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 06-07-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

I guess your right, but as you said, I suppose I could be considered "territorial". When you don't get payed, and the only real "payment" is the satisfaction of a page well done, it kind of sucks when someone re-does all of your work.

I understand that it is all for the greater good, I'm just a little touchy on the subject. What if the person who made the original page got the right to change it to bluray? Because if I got a Bluray player for the computer, Heat would be the first on my list to screencap.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 AM

If I got my hands on a Bluray player, nobody would hear from me in months, and then I would emerge from my apartment blinking and stretching, with about 5 million screen caps on a trash bag full of jump drives.

Ahh, bluray.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Bluray pisses me off. I've spent a good five years buying DVDs and replacing VHSs with DVDs so I could watch them with my portable player or screencap them, and now a new better disk comes out and all the stuff I worked so hard to collect is obsolete.

And while the sound and picture quality is better, it isn't a revolutionary change. The only thing that really fascinates me about Bluray is the scratch resistant disks.