imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-11-2015, 03:18 AM

More like $650 to $900 up here for a decent, average example! Of course we have a bit more of a sentimental attachment to them up here, the $900 end of the spectrum being a Long Branch No.4. I would say the price of guns has about tripled in the 15 years or so I've been collecting.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Prices are going up. Just today in my monthly issue of "Gun Digest" there is an article detailing the rise in costs for even Lee-Enfields. Evidently they're going for between 300-400 dollars now. My first one (MkIII*) cost me $80 back in 1999.
I paid $100 about 4 years ago for a Parker Hale deer rifle built off a No.4 Mk.1 receiver and bolt. I reckon I got lucky, even 10 years ago Enfields were rare down here, and usually of wallhanger-only condition

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I paid $100 about 4 years ago for a Parker Hale deer rifle built off a No.4 Mk.1 receiver and bolt. I reckon I got lucky, even 10 years ago Enfields were rare down here, and usually of wallhanger-only condition
I've got two sporter conversions. I traded my mil-spec pieces a few years ago, but I'll keep the sporters. First of all I won't get any money for them and I like the basement conversion pieces. There is just something about those DIY rifles that I like.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I've got two sporter conversions. I traded my mil-spec pieces a few years ago, but I'll keep the sporters. First of all I won't get any money for them and I like the basement conversion pieces. There is just something about those DIY rifles that I like.
Sporters sure are fun, too bad someone had to tear up something that'll never be produced again to make most of them

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Sporters sure are fun, too bad someone had to tear up something that'll never be produced again to make most of them
Yes I feel that way at times as well, but I just figure they were done when the rifles were plentiful. Different times. Here is a photo of one of them with my Webley taken a few years ago. Note the green tape on the sling. That was there when I purchased this little sporter. Which ,incidentally, I paid $75.00 for. It shoots very well I should add. I paid a considerable amount more for the Webley. I picture some rough and ready backwoodsman living in Northwestern Canada in the sixties or seventies with this combo. Guy who doesn't have much money but makes do with what he has. Drive a 1950 Ford pickup or an old surplus Jeep. Possibly a veteran of France or Italy with the Canadian Army in WWII. Am I off the mark Nyles?

Last edited by Jcordell; 06-12-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:41 AM

Definitely not with the rifle! Time was you'd find one of those and a Cooey .22 in every farm house in Canada. That said we never actually used Webleys, so they're not all that common up here.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Definitely not with the rifle! Time was you'd find one of those and a Cooey .22 in every farm house in Canada. That said we never actually used Webleys, so they're not all that common up here.
They aren't? Oh well. Guess that makes sense from what you've written in the past. He's my fictional character so I'll have him carry a Webley.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM

Haha, fair enough! If you do come across a Cooey down there you should snap it up. I've never found a more accurate .22 for less money!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I have an Ishapore 2A1 in 7.62 NATO, and a No. 4. I appreciate that the Ishapore is in 7.62mm, but I like the sights on the No. 4 a lot better.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I have an Ishapore 2A1 in 7.62 NATO, and a No. 4. I appreciate that the Ishapore is in 7.62mm, but I like the sights on the No. 4 a lot better.

Me too. I'm with you 100%.