imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-09-2020, 09:31 PM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Patent infringement? Yeah, because HK totally was the first one to put a piston on an AR, not Eugene Stoner the guy who invented the whole platform.
Seeing as how the designer of the Haenel was one of the designers of the 416, that really paints a picture that he directly implemented features from the 416 that may be patented. Having said that, he also helped design the SIG 516 after working on the 416 and HK haven't gone after that as far as i know, so god only knows what their specific issue is.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2020, 02:14 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The scorched state of California
Posts: 2,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Seeing as how the designer of the Haenel was one of the designers of the 416, that really paints a picture that he directly implemented features from the 416 that may be patented. Having said that, he also helped design the SIG 516 after working on the 416 and HK haven't gone after that as far as i know, so god only knows what their specific issue is.
I think their specific issue is "OMG, we lost?! How dare they!" Not unlike Glock when the US Army picked SIG two years ago. It's even the exact same circumstances where all the entries met the requirements, but one was cheaper.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 AM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I think their specific issue is "OMG, we lost?! How dare they!" Not unlike Glock when the US Army picked SIG two years ago. It's even the exact same circumstances where all the entries met the requirements, but one was cheaper.
Apparently they also justified it that the Haenel had 7% better penetration. To me this sounds made up as they would have been using the same ammo out of the same barrel length so I don't get exactly how there would have been a measurable difference.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-11-2020, 12:18 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The scorched state of California
Posts: 2,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
Apparently they also justified it that the Haenel had 7% better penetration. To me this sounds made up as they would have been using the same ammo out of the same barrel length so I don't get exactly how there would have been a measurable difference.
Yeah, that sounds unlikely to me, too. It wouldn't surprise me if it's falsified. HK winning the lawsuit that the German government filed against them over the G36 controversy could be construed as a bit of a black eye and embarrassment for the latter.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.