imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 10-21-2009, 03:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

If I were a cop one day, I'd stick to the 9mm for the more magazine capacity and get them in hollow point. I'd use a .45 when I am off duty for self defense because I like the stopping power. I don't like the .40 S&W either. It is a pretty snappy recoil

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
All I can say is that NYPD guns suck. They have about 5 or 6 9mm DAO guns approved for duty carry and and only a few more for off duty, and they all have 12 pound trigger pulls, including the Glock 19. The only one that would be even remotely comfortable is the Smith and Wesson Model 64 in .38 Special, the topic of the article. By design it's DA so it's not gonna feel messed with, and it would be comfortable to shoot. Of course you've lost the firepower you get with a double stack automatic in 9mm, but like I said, they suck.
I agree. Earlier this year I attended the GLOCK armorer course. As we stripped down our pistols we installed the "New York Trigger" for training purposes. It's very easy to do. I didn't like the trigger though. I prefer the 5.5 lb trigger pull of the standard trigger. The GLOCK reps said they didn't understand the NYPD's logic either. Supposedly it's because the cops were used to the heavier trigger pull of the DA revolver, but that ceased to be an issue by the late nineties. Actually it was probably not an issue after a year or so later from the transition in 93. At that point they were hiring folks who weren't used to handguns of any type. Whatever the reason it's a terrible trigger in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Wow the New Yorkers made the Block i mean glunck trigger worse? It was "sproingy" already.

And I would never carry a 9mm. I like .45 stopping power. Sometimes you only get one shot. I want it to cont. And not all .45s are 1911s, there are 14, 15, 16 round 45s out there. A FNP-45 is possibly the perfect duty weapon (DA/SA, Good trigger, can change backstrap for different sized hands, night sights, 14 and 15 round mags, reliable, accurate.)

I also would get some hornady TAP. Hornady has the best quality control and awesome ammunition, In my experience. Too bad they don't make .22 lr though, they decided to just do rimfire magnums. There .30-30, there 308 amtch (cheap for match ammo) and 45 have impressed me, so did there shotgun slugs.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

I've never tried an FNP-45, but I tried an FNP-9 and it had the worst trigger I've ever felt this side of a Nagant or Bodeo.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM

FN has improved it quite a bit recently. They get word that the militarys looking for a new pistol and tune there FNs to be prime competitiors. Besides, FN likes there customes, the FNP comes with three mags, SIG gives you one and HK gives you a card telling you they hate you and think you suck.

Last edited by k9870; 10-23-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
FN has improved it quite a bit recently. They get word that the militarys looking for a new pistol and tune there FNs to be prime competitiors. Besides, FN likes there customes, the FNP comes with three mags, SIG gives you one and HK gives you a card telling you they hate you and think you suck.
I think the HK thinks we suck joke is getting old

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Don't get me wrong, ordinarily I'm a huge fan of FN firearms, I was just not impressed with the FNP I tried. Or the Five-seven for that matter - not a bad trigger and that weird safety works surprisingly well, but the thing makes a USP feel slim.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

During my years in the U.S. Army I carried both M-16's manufactued by FN which was subcontracted to FN by Colt and an M-249 SAW. When I was a tanker we used a variation of the M240 as our co-ax machine gun on the M-1. For many years I owned a genuine FN Browning Hi-Power actually made at their plant in Belgium. I've always liked the FN product.

H&K makes a good product as well but the company is rather elitist. Don't know if the company "hates" non-goverment shooters, but it doesn't seem to be very interested in us.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

HK is known to have truly awful customer service, and ships guns in boxes completely unprotected sometimes, they were shipping 2000$+ sl8s in just cardboard.....
Old 10-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Well, now that Colt bought out Diemaco I guess you could say my C7 is Colt-made, though mine was made when they were still Canadian owned. My Hi Power is a WW2 Inglis, so it's also Canadian made. All our MGs come straight from Belgium though. I've only ever played with one once, but our new sniper rifles are actually made in my hometown.